Chapter 19: The Beautiful Mistake

Start from the beginning

There was something so inviting about the mountainous terrain below me as I towered above it. The lights were glimmering like a hundred thousand fallen stars had scattered across the earth's crust.

I shut my eyes, reveling in the breeze that seemed intent on making my hair something resembling a bird's nest.

I felt free.

Free from the troubles that my life had to offer. Free from any stress or worry that seemed to plague me for the past few days.

Inhaling deeply, I spread my arms wide, mimicking the stance of a bird flying from its nest for the first time.

I let the breeze whip my mess of dark curly hair in an unruly fashion.

Although the cold bit at my skin ruthlessly, I suddenly felt nothing. Either I was numb from the cold or my mind was too tranquil to pay attention to the cold.

My body rocks forward and backwards as I hovered dangerously over the edge of the rocky terrain. But my mind could care less about that fact.

My body rocks a little farther frontwards. My senses were numbing as I tipped a little more towards the edge.

The breeze continued to play with my hair. I felt the wind increase in momentum and a sharp rush of heat courses through my body.

There is a strong pull and a harsh thump as my body landed almost painfully against something incredibly hard.

I shrieked in terror and tore my eyes open. I was shocked and speechless at the scene before me.

"Are you crazy?!" Dontae barked, anger seeping from his body.

I was wrong. This day just got much worse.

What is he doing here? I don't want to see him.

His heartbeat thumped erratically against his ribcage, consequently mingling with mine.

I couldn't speak.

What was he doing here?

"Do you know what could have happened to you if I hadn't caught you on time?!"

I was perplexed now.

What is he going on about?

I tried to shift but couldn't. It was then when I glanced behind me that I found Dontae's arms tightly wrapped around my waist and I was splayed out on top of him on the grassy ground.

"What are you doing?" I demanded. "Let me go!" My head turned back to him and I glared really hard.

"No," he quipped stubbornly. "You're just going to jump again. And I won't let you."

"What are you talking about? I didn't jump and I'm not going to."

Did he hit his head or something?

He sent me a look of sheer incredulity.

"You just tried to hurt yourself! Dammit Vannessa, what the hell is wrong with you?"

Oh... that's what he's on about.

I hadn't meant to jump off the cliff. I was just too immersed in my thoughts to realize what I was doing. I suppose I should have been more careful. But I'm glad he was there to catch me. I can't even begin to imagine what would have happened if he hadn't come to my rescue when he did.

"I wasn't trying to kill myself," I confirmed softly. "You can let me go now."

I wanted to be as far away from him as I possibly could be. His touch was messing with my senses and I didn't like it one bit.