16- 𝓗𝓶𝓶, 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓫𝓪𝓭

Start from the beginning

Zander nodded, a smile spreading across his face. "Yes, Mom. This is Maria." He reached out and took her hand, squeezing it gently as he felt a surge of pride in introducing her to his mother.

Maria extended her hand towards Zander's mother, trying to maintain a polite demeanor. "It's nice to meet you, Madam Aurelia," she said softly. Her heart was racing as she waited for Zander's mother's reaction to their meeting.

Zander's mother didn't respond to Maria's handshake attempt, only giving a slight nod and saying, "Hmm, not bad." The tone of her voice was neutral, leaving both Zander and Maria wondering what she meant by that.

Maria pulled her hand back down, feeling a bit embarrassed by the lack of a response. Zander noticed her discomfort and reached around to give her a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "It's okay," he whispered.

Zander cleared his throat, trying to break the awkward silence. "Uh, well, have a seat you both." He gestured towards the chair and took a seat himself. The tension in the air was palpable as he wondered what his mother's next move would be.

As Maria and Zander took their seats, Madam Aurelia's piercing gaze remained fixed on them. She leaned forward slightly and spoke directly to Maria. "So, Maria, what would you like to eat?"

Maria forced a smile, hoping to appease Zander's mother. "Uh, well, I'm not sure what's on the menu, but I'm sure whatever you have ordered for us will be delicious," she replied nervously.

Madam Aurelia's eyes narrowed slightly as she studied Maria. Her sarcastic laughter echoed around the room. "You know, I want confidence in you," she said, pausing for effect. "You're not going to let me choose for you, are you?"

The tension in the room was palpable as Madam Aurelia's words hung heavily in the air. Maria felt speechless, her mind racing to find a suitable response. She glanced nervously at Zander, who seemed just as uncomfortable.

Zander tried to defuse the situation by interjecting, "Mom, can we just have a peaceful dinner? Maria is overwhelmed by this situation, you know. She's not used to it." He gave Maria a reassuring smile but could feel his own anxiety growing.

Madam Aurelia's demeanor didn't change as she casually replied, "Well, if she wants to be your girlfriend, then she has to prepare for this." Her tone was matter-of-fact, but there was an undercurrent of challenge in her words.

Maria took a deep breath and tried to maintain her composure. "I try my best, Madam Aurelia," she said softly. Inside, she was trembling with nerves but knew that she had to stay strong for Zander's sake.

Madam Aurelia simply replied, "Good luck with that," her tone laced with sarcasm as she turned her attention back to her food. The tension in the room seemed to thicken as Maria and Zander exchanged worried glances.

Zander tried to defend Maria by saying, "Mom, you know how I got passed in Cambridge test? Because Maria spent time with me, taught me every lesson she knows." He hoped this would soften his mother's heart towards their relationship but feared it might only make things worse.

Madam Aurelia raised an eyebrow at Zander's words. "Hmm, Maria is a teacher now?" she said sarcastically. "Hmph." Her tone was dismissive, but there was a hint of pride in her voice as well.

Zander knew his words might be interpreted as disrespectful, but he couldn't help but stand up for Maria. "Mom, it's not about being someone," he argued. "It's about spending time with me, teaching me things that took her moments to grasp."

"And besides," he continued, glancing at Maria, "I'm happy with who she is and what she brings to my life." His voice was steady but tinged with emotion as he looked at his mother for understanding.

Maria stayed silent, feeling the warmth spread through her chest at Zander's words. She gave him a shy thank you look before turning her attention back to her food. The tension in the room seemed to lessen slightly as they all focused on their meals.

Madam Aurelia shifted her focus back to Maria. "So, Maria," she said casually, "what are your parents' jobs?" She took another sip of wine, her gaze fixed on Maria as if she were a specimen under a microscope. Madam Aurelia's question threw Zander off guard. He knew it was an innocent inquiry, but he also knew how protective he could be over Maria. "Mom," he warned under his breath.

Maria leaned closer to Zander, whispering softly. "It's okay, I don't mind answering," she said with a reassuring smile. Then, turning her attention back to Madam Aurelia, she replied, "My dad left me when I was a kid," Maria said softly. "So, I can say I don't really have a dad. And for my mom, she has a small business selling Russian cookies." She paused for a moment before adding,

"And now she have her own place to sell the cookies." There was an undertone of pride in her voice as she spoke about their modest achievements together.