Chapter 21. Wounds are bended and Latin enters the game

***

Amina left Greg's room after cleaning and disinfecting the wounds and putting too much bands for Greg being comfortable.
He was dreaming of getting his trousers on.
He also promised himself that he would never ever sleep without pyjamas in his life. Or to buy Batman underwear.

He was not aware that James, in his turn, found Gregory's underwear rather amusing. The bat wings made him smile for a moment. It was stress, most probably. 

He helped his companion to get back in the bed and cover boney legs with the blanket. Gregory put his banded hand on top of it lowering the gaze. James sighed shortly and sat on the edge of the bed. "Dear Gregory, I am sorry I let Charlotte  hurt you. I should never be so careless again. What happened?"

Gregory shrugged. "She saw him killed. She was fighting the killer. She is so angry. Wants her James back."

"Fighting who?"

"She didn't see. He killed her too. It...hurt."

James was silent for a long moment. Then he sat closer to Gregory and allowed himself to pull him closer and hold near his shoulder. He was not used for comforting or hugging people, but it seemed essential at the moment. "We should visit a doctor tomorrow. I'm sorry I can't cancel my aunt visit, she wouldn't understand. I will send a note we come till dinner."

"We?"

"If you still wish to accompany me, of course. I'd be delighted."

Greg glanced shortly at him and hid the eyes again under the lashes. Lushes stuck together after tears and looked like needles. "I was sure you... No, I wasn't sure you'd like to have me around. I could hurt you. Uh, not me, but..." He suddenly pressed his forehead to James' shoulder with his eyes closed and hands shaking again. "If something happens to you, I'd never forgive myself." And then added with almost no pause. "May I sleep in that armchair in your room again? I'm afraid to stay alone...shite, it'd be even more dangerous! Could you lock the door from the outside when you're out? Charlotte, she...she is so strong. And smart."

He was not afraid of staying alone in the room, Greg suddenly realised. He was afraid of Charlotte. The shadow haunting him. 

He was biting his lips. And another piece of James' clothes was about to be spoilt with his bodily liquids. Tears, in this case.

James gasped. "I understand. I was just thinking... do you happen to know what exactly she wants? Is it to punish James's murderer?" Gregory had a fragile built, and a gentle nature - very unlike Charlotte. She would probably be irritated by him if they two had a proper chance to meet. And told him she is disappointed they are related or likewise obstinacies as this.

"No. She wants James."

"Well, they seem to be both wandering here...oh."

"M?"

"Oh..." James caressed the dark hair gently. "I guess the poor lady has been misguided and was somewhat assured I am the James she needs."

"But you seemed taken as well." Gregory sipped his nose one more time but didn't take away his hand. 

James smiled.  "Right. But it seems James is held here by his word to her. What I mean... have you payed attention to the family motto?"

"It's in Latin."

"Of course, it is. Teneat verbum tuum. Hold you word."

"I don't follow."

"He didn't keep his word to her. I presume, didn't marry her. Do you know where your ancestors are buried?"

Gregory shrugged resentfully with one shoulder. "Aye, I know. Not much of cemeteries on the Grans' hometown. Just not sure she's there. If she died here... she might be closer."

James raised his brows.  "We will have to add some work for the archivists to find out the exact place."

Greg shrugged again. "Aye, seems so. Pity I can't give a police artist description to make her portrait..." He stumbled suddenly and looked up at James with shimmering eyes, no more tears in them. "But I can draw him. James. I saw him... today. I remember. I need to draw him now, maybe, I'll slip it..."

James smiled holding Greg's hand carefully. "You will. Tomorrow, after visiting a doctor and having a bit less bands on your palm. Now, I believe you must be desperately tired. I will stay here and read, if you don't mind. I would make everybody safe."

"Don't you want to sleep?"

"Not right now. Actually, there are some shelves in the library I can start with about our investigation. Which amuses me greatly."

Greg yawned. And shook the head.  "I'll help you. You shouldn't do everything alone."

James smiled and kissed his temple gently.

Greg fell asleep watching lord Blacke in the armchair near the fireplace.  

At least, His Grace was scrolling down the smartphone, not some Shakespeare sonnets volume. It would be too much even for a gentleman from the story with ghosts.

***