𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟎

Start from the beginning

Breathing heavily, Asher surveyed the scene, his gaze unwavering as he stood ready to defend Damian at any cost. The man's desperate cry for his boss echoed through the room, a chilling reminder of the dangers that still lurked in the shadows.

As they stood amidst the aftermath of the confrontation, Asher's arms wrapped protectively around Damian, the tension in the air palpable. Damian's fingers brushed against the cold metal of the gun, his breath catching in his throat as he grabbed it from the floor. With a firm grip on the weapon, he looked to Asher for guidance, silently seeking reassurance in the face of uncertainty.

Asher's concern for Damian was evident in his gaze, his eyes filled with a mixture of worry and determination. "Are you okay?" he asked, his voice soft yet laden with urgency.

Damian nodded, his resolve unwavering despite the fear that lingered in his heart. "Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, his voice steady despite the turmoil raging within him. "What about your shoulder? That looked like a pretty hard hit."

A wry smile tugged at the corners of Asher's lips, a fleeting moment of levity amidst the chaos. "Barely felt a thing," he chuckled, his tone tinged with amusement.

With a nod from Asher, they made their way towards the door, their footsteps echoing in the silence of the hallway. As they descended the stairs, Damian couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that gnawed at his insides. 

In the dimly lit basement, the air hung heavy with the scent of metal and oil, the faint hum of machinery echoing softly in the background. Asher's fingers moved with practiced ease as he punched in the code on the keypad, the soft beep signaling the door's release. With a push, the door swung open, revealing a cache of weapons and gear neatly organized along the walls.

As Asher began to arm himself, Damian watched in silent bewilderment, his eyes widening as he took in the array of armory before him. With each piece of protective gear Asher handed him, Damian's confusion deepened, his mind racing to make sense of the situation.

Unfazed by Damian's incredulous expression, Asher continued to outfit him in the protective gear, his movements deliberate and precise. But as Damian made a remark about the excessive precautions, Asher's expression shifted, his gaze turning steely and serious.

"This isn't a joke, Damian," Asher said firmly, his tone brooking no argument. "We're not taking any chances."

Damian swallowed hard, the gravity of the situation sinking in as he met Asher's unwavering gaze. With a nod of understanding, he accepted the bulletproof vest, helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads, his fingers trembling slightly with a mixture of fear and determination.

But as Asher handed him a Beretta, Damian's resolve solidified, his grip firm as he took hold of the weapon. With a silent exchange of nods, they armed themselves, each weapon a silent promise of protection in the face of danger.

As Asher turned to offer Damian an opportunity to retreat to safety, Damian's response was resolute, his eyes flashing with determination. "I'm not staying behind, someone's gotta protect you, too," he declared, his voice unwavering. 

With a silent understanding passing between them, Asher smirked, his expression one of respect and admiration. 

With each step, the tension in the air grew palpable, the sound of raised voices echoing ominously through the stairwell. Asher's grip tightened on his weapon, his senses on high alert as they ascended the stairs, Damian close behind him.

As they reached the top of the stairs, the voices grew louder, the urgency in their tone sending a shiver down Damian's spine. With a quick glance exchanged between them, Asher pushed open the door, stepping out into the hallway beyond.