042

୨୧

[ narration ahead : u can't skip this part ! ]

I felt my heart throb against my chest as my hand held the gate to be opened. Our eyes met, and his lips swiftly formed a curve. I remained still on my position with no plans of going outside. But I have to admit it, his smile definitely stiffened me.

He's sitting on the hoods of his car. Pinagsadahan ko siya ng tingin. He's wearing a black polo that embraces his body, emphasising its manly features paired with black trousers and Nike Air force. Hindi rin siya gumalaw at nanatiling nakatitig sakin. I felt a lump in my throat.

Tumikhin ako.

"Umuwi ka na," ani ko at umiwas ng tingin. Ilang minuto kaming natahimik. My eyes went back on him when he stood up, yet he still didn't move closer to me; maintaining our distance.

"You look even cuter when you're worried, Scarlet," he said with his head tilted. My breathing hitched.

Lasing na talaga ang isang 'to!

"Saka mo na 'yan sabihin kapag 'di ka na lasing." His brows went up, still smiling. Binasa niya muna ang labi niya bago magsalita.

"Do you trust me, Scarlet?" he asked with gaze fixated on me. Sandali akong natahimik at naalala ang post na sinend ni Rae. He's facing a big issue. Balita ko pa ay umabot narin daw 'yon sa ibang lugar kahit sa malayo.

"Oo, I trust you," buong sinseridad kong tugon. He nodded at me.

"Thank you."  I smiled and sat next to him. "Thank you for trusting me, Scarlet. It meant a lot to me," he added before gazing up to the sky. I did the same. The sky is filled with dots of glimmering stars that accompanies the moon; breaking through the darkness.

"It has been years since then but they still see me cruel as if I murdered my bestfriend." My brows furrowed and my gaze went to him. Did he just referred her as his bestfriend?

"Huh, kala ko ex mo siya?" Nanatili ang mata niya sa itaas.

"That's what the others assumed. Also, the anniversary date they assumed, it was also the day she confessed to me in that cafe. The day I turned her down. That made our interactions less, the bond we used to have turned to awkwardness. Because of our sudden avoidance, people assumed we want to keep what we have as lowkey." He bit his trembling lips to stop himself from stuttering.

"And the day I never saw coming came. I was in the Baking Lab with a prof that day and I didn't thought she was there too. Like what I've expected, she begged for a chance and that pulled the trigger, I left her there, where the incident happened after an hour. I received lots of hatred afterwards and I believe I deserve it. I should've saved her." Parang pinipiga ang puso ko habang nakikinig sa sinasabi niya. He was misunderstood and judged without being able to defend himself. I gave him light taps on his arm. His eyes went down to me and gave me a small smile.

"I don't really know what to say."

"Having you next to me is enough, Scarlet." Tumango na lang ako at umiwas ng tingin. 

"But I want you to know na it's not you're fault and you did nothing wrong. The world has a lot of things to say. Cruelty, hatred, and such. And I'm beyond proud of you for bearing with all of it. You're so strong, Edrian," I uttered and looked up on him. The teardrop under his eye didn't escape my sight. Pinunas niya kaagad iyon sa kaniyang palad.

"Talking to you lessened the weight on my chest. Thank you, Scarlet." Nginitian ko siya.

"Anytime, Edrian." Umayos na siya ng tindig at inalalayan ako sa pagtayo.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then?" I nodded at him. 

"See you." I watch him went to his car before stepping aside to gave his car a way.

"Wait." He went back to me with a similar box ate Cass gave me. "Please accept it." And I did. Halos mawala na ang mata niya sa pagkangiti dahil do'n.

"Good night, Scarlet."

"Kaya mo pa ba magmaneho?" He was taken from stepping away. Humarap siya muli sakin at ginulo ang buhok ko. It gave me different sensations that I can't explain, that my mind can't fathom.

"I can handle it and my condo's just nearby. Thanks for the concern, Scarlet." I rolled my eyes at him and that made him chuckled. That hushed my mind. Seeing him laugh in midst of this chaos put me in ease.

Kumaway muna siya sa'kin bago sumakay sa sasakanyan niya. He told me to went in already, but I stayed and waited for him to vanishing  from my sight.

My eyes drifted down at the box he gave me. I opened it and my lips stretched to a smile.

It's my favorite blueberry cheesecake.

୨୧