Chapter Nineteen

"Come on boys," Mr. Kowal called, "Sydney grab the ingredients from upstairs."

Isaiah blinked quickly at the words. The sudden attention felt like a jolt to the chest. Was it really dinner time already? Sydney walked quickly by him, flashing him with an excited smile. Isaiah attempted to smile back, but it was closed-lipped.

"How can I help?" Isaiah asked, approaching Mr. Kowal.

"You're our guest now, Isaiah," Mr. Kowal insisted kindly, "Just head outside and enjoy the weather. The skies cleared up."

"Um, alright, sir," Isaiah swallowed the information, "But if you need anything, just ask. I know how to cook."

"Thanks, son, but really, just relax," Mr. Kowal insisted, before walking out the backdoor.

Isaiah hesitantly followed, briefly looking behind him to see if Sydney had returned from upstairs. When there was no sign, he finally left the Printshop. The sun really had come out, and it felt warm on his skin. Isaiah looked down at the brick path, hidden within the grass, and carefully followed it to the intersection. Mr. Kowal had followed it off to the right. Now standing by an elevated fire pit. Decorated with red slab, and a black, ash-stained grid over the opening. Isaiah watched as Mr. Kowal began shoveling wood into the fire, as he slowly became more awake.

"So, how's your family been, Isaiah?" Mr. Kowal asked, still shifting around the logs.

"Oh, uh," Isaiah tried to think quickly, "They're doing well, although a bit busy. My brother's getting married soon."

"That's David, right?" Mr. Kowal asked, and Isaiah nodded, "Good for him."

"Yes, it's a big milestone," Isaiah said pleasantly.

"That's exactly what I've been trying to convince Sydney of," Mr. Kowal sighed vehemently, "He'll be 22 soon, and he hasn't even thought about it."

Isaiah looked to the backdoor, then back to Mr. Kowal, "Sydney does seem passionate about traveling, I suppose he wants to do that first. No?"

"Oh, yes I know," Mr. Kowal sighed, "It's just a bit unrealistic, I think," Mr. Kowal paused for a response, but when Isaiah didn't protest, he continued, "But anyways, I shouldn't be talking about my son behind his back, should I?" He chuckled, "Syd can speak for himself."

"Why am I hearing my name out here?" Sydney laughed as he walked out the backdoor. His arms were full, holding several canvas-wrapped cuts of meat.

"Isaiah's brother is getting married," Mr. Kowal pointed out immediately.

"Oh," Sydney said as if he had already caught on. He ignored the conversation and began unloading the meat onto the firepits' ledge.

"See I told you, Isaiah," Mr. Kowal rolled his eyes, "Who is he getting married to?"

"Adelaide Blackwell," Isaiah informed, "She really nice, but I've only met her a few times."

"Yes, I'm familiar with her father," Mr. Kowal continued, "He's also Polish, so, we find a lot in common," He said, "I remember wondering if his other daughter and Sydney would be a good match."

"Dad, stop," Sydney hissed, but tried to sound light-hearted. Mr. Kowal opened his mouth to speak, but Isaiah quickly filled the silence.

"You're from Poland, Mr. Kowal?" Isaiah asked, "How did you end up in Kansas?"

Mr. Kowal immediately smiled, "Well, I traveled over to the United States when I was just 15," Isaiah watched Sydney sigh in relief as his father continued to ramble, "I had a dream of starting somewhere new, since my family wasn't too well off in Poland. Political unrest and such. Within my first year here, I met my late wife, Stella. We quickly fell for each other and got married."