Chapter Seven

Isaiah stared at the entrance of the Saloon. Its weathered exterior held dark wooden doors under its arch, which swung in the wind. The sign, etching out the building's title in blocky letters, was crooked above the doorway. The sound of manly laughter echoed out onto the street. Along with the brief sounds of banjos. He hadn't realized this is where Sydney meant to go. Isaiah stopped dead in his tracks, and Sydney hadn't noticed till he nearly got to the door.

Sydney stepped back towards Isaiah.

"I think I'll just wait out here." Isaiah replied, before quickly following up, "If that's okay."

"Ohh... Yeah that makes sense, alcohol and gambling and stuff." Sydney scratched his head, "Guess we should go somewhere else."

Isaiah shook his head, "We don't have to go somewhere else; I can just wait out here. It's no big deal."

Sydney grimaced, "Ummmm, no I don't think so." Isaiah furrowed his brow. What? Why not? He hadn't intended for Sydney to change his plans for him. Sydney was squinting now, looking to his left and right. Isaiah didn't know what to do, should he insist?

"It's really, okay?" Isaiah said, his voice becoming a bit higher.

"Nah..." Sydney trailed off, clearly something on his mind, "Here let's go to the Evan's Eating House, they have some good stuff there." Sydney started walking down the road.

"Uh," Isaiah swallowed, "Alright," He followed Sydney down the road. Slowly Isaiah's nerves started to get the best of him, and he thought about the last few minutes on loop. Did Sydney think he couldn't handle even being by the saloon? Did his disinterest in going inside make Sydney feel uncomfortable? This was a problem.

. . .

Sydney was unbelievably tense as they walked towards the Eatery. That was such a stupid move. Bringing the Priest's kid to the saloon? Was he stupid? Isaiah had been nice about it, but what was really going on behind those doe eyes? He really didn't want trouble.

"So, Isaiah, have you gone there before? The eatery?" Sydney filled the silence because Isaiah staring blankly off into the distance was starting to freak him out.

Isaiah looked over at Sydney, "Huh?" He asked, and he began to fiddle with his fingers, "Oh, no I haven't." He quickly corrected, "I've met Mr. Evan's a few times though. Do they serve good food?"

"Yeah, I would say so. I go there a lot," Sydney stuffed his hands in his pockets. He wondered how it was possible Isaiah had never gone, Evan's had the best corn bread in the world.

"What do you like to get there?" Isaiah asked, face half turned to Sydney as they walked.

"Are you telepathic?" Sydney put on a scared expression, "Dude, you're freaking me out, I was just thinking about their corn bread. You should definitely try some." Sydney laughed but was obviously very serious about the recommendation.

Isaiah giggled at the theatrics, "Alright sure, I'll try it."

"Hey, you didn't deny the allegations," Sydney jokingly pursued an answer.

"I'm definitely not telepathic," Isaiah defended himself, "I hardly ever know what people are thinking."

"I hear ya," Sydney commented. The Evan's eatery was now in sight and Sydney stomach grumbled, "Finally." He muttered and picked up his pace towards the building. He kept Isaiah in the corner of his eye, making sure he was following this time.