The selection

Third person view

Everyone entered the castle after a while sailing across the lake. A tall witch with black hair and emerald green robes appeared, she had a stern face, which most, especially Isaac, understood that she was not a person who should be bothered.

"First year students, this is Professor. Minerva McGonagall." Informed Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I'll take care of it from now on." Hagrid left, and everyone followed her to a staircase in front of a huge door, in which the murmurs of hundreds of voices could be heard.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." Said Prof. Minerva. "The opening banquet of the school year will begin soon, but first, you will be sorted into your houses. Sorting is a very important ceremony because once they are here, their home will be like a Hogwarts family. You will attend classes, sleep in the same dormitory and share the same common room with your respective house."

"The houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Every house has its honorable history and extraordinary wizards. While they are at Hogwarts, their successes will earn them points for their houses, while mistakes will cause them to lose. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will win the house cup, a great honor. I hope that each of you will be a source of pride for the house you belong to."

"The selection ceremony will start in a few minutes, I want you to wait here." With that, she left and entered the door, closing it behind her and leaving everyone alone.

"How do they select us for houses?" Harry asked, swallowing hard.

"They say it's a type of test. Fred and George said something like fighting a Troll." Ron replied, looking at the huge door a little nervously.

"I do not think." Isaac started by joining the conversation. "My mother only told me about the houses, but not the test. But why would they give a troll to students who barely know spells to fight? Does not make sense." He finished straightening his clothes.

But he almost jumped when he heard everyone behind him scream. About 20 ghosts appeared on the back wall, pearly white and semi-transparent. They seemed to be arguing, and a chubbier ghost was saying:

"Forgive and forget, I would say, let's give him a second chance..."

"My dear Friar, haven't we already given Peeves the chances he deserved? He tarnishes our reputation, and he's not even a ghost. Wow, what are the kids doing here?"

A ghost, wearing a starched ruff collar and socks, suddenly noticed the first-year students.

No one answered.

"New students!" Said the Fat Friar. "They're about to be selected, I take it?"

Isaac nodded. "Yes, we are."

"Hope to see some of you in Hufflepuff!" exclaimed Friar, smiling at them. "My old house, you know?"

He's just like what I imagined... thought Isaac.

"Let's get going now." Another ghost interrupted his thoughts. "A selection ceremony is about to begin." And with that the ghosts flew away and disappeared into a nearby wall.

Everyone was silent for a few seconds. Until a voice, which Isaac recognized as Malfoy's, broke the silence.

"Is it true then?" He started walking up the steps and getting everyone's attention. "What did they say on the train? Harry Potter came to Hogwarts." he revealed making several whispers be heard.

Two burly boys appeared behind Malfoy. The two Isaac had seen on the train earlier. Which made him roll his eyes and curse under his breath.

"That's Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy." He approached Harry with a smile. "Draco Malfoy." he introduced himself and Ron chuckled softly. Making Draco look at him.