Chapter 23

Annabeth was obviously in charge.

Whatever Leo thought (it was probably sweet in Annabeth's mind for him to think this was his ship), the Argo II belonged to her. Emilia didn't think Jason or Percy would qualify as leaders for this– not in the sense that Hera intended. If anyone was going to be in charge, it was going to be Annabeth. And she'd wasted no time in making sure they were all doing exactly what they were supposed to before they arrived at Camp Jupiter.

Emilia wasn't sure what to expect as the Oakland Hills became visible. All she was sure of was that Annabeth would take point on the discussion with the Romans. Emilia would pitch in if anything got heated by mentioning Hylla to Reyna– the girl would either know about her already and relax or would be so dumbstruck that she might be more willing to hear them out.

She sat on the deck as Annabeth reviewed the main plan, then the backup plan, then the backup plan's backup plan. She watched Annabeth pace around, checking and double-checking everything (including the white 'We come in peace' flag flying above the mast).

Thankfully, Annabeth had found out the best way to keep Coach Hedge occupied so that he wouldn't get in the way. Just mention the mixed martial arts championships and he was as good as glued to the television.

"We don't look friendly," admitted Annabeth as she came to stand beside Emilia.

"You think?" said Emilia. The Argo II was two hundred feet long, with a bronze-plated hull, mounted repeating crossbows fore and aft, a flaming metal dragon for a figurehead, and two rotating ballistae amidships that could fire explosive bolts powerful enough to blast through concrete.

Annabeth's lips thinned, hands reaching for one of the bronze shields that lined the starboard rail. "Do you think they got the message?"

Emilia glanced over her shoulder as Leo rushed around like a madman, checking his gauges and wrestling levers. He'd installed a keyboard, monitor, aviation controls from a Learjet, a dubstep soundboard, and motion-control sensors from a Nintendo Wii– way too much to keep up with. If he wanted to, he could turn the shop by pulling on the throttle, fire weapons by sampling an album, or raise sails by shaking his Wii controllers very fast.

"I think so," said Emilia. "Hylla's information was useful and Leo is brilliant. We just have to be prepared for... anything."

"Has she spoken to you again? Your... mother?"

"No," admitted Emilia. "Since I came back from Seattle, I've tried to reach out in my dreams like Clovis said to. She's not responding. Maybe she knows about what Rhea told me."

"I still can't believe out of all times, that's when she chooses to get involved," muttered Annabeth. "Where was she before?"

"I'm trying not to be upset with her," said Emilia, listening to Piper practice her charmspeak behind them. It was hard to resist if one didn't completely distract themselves. Today, Piper was dressed in tattered jeans, worn-out sneakers, and a white tank top with pink Hello Kitty designs. Her choppy brown hair was braided down the right side with an eagle's feather.

Overall, she didn't look threatening. As for Jason– who stood at the bow on the raised crossbow platform– he was calm as ever, with jeans and an orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirt beneath a toga and purple cloak. He'd remembered himself being praetor and thought it appropriate to dress for the occasion.

Emilia felt Annabeth was the upset one as they both glanced at Jason. She just knew Annabeth didn't fully trust him yet and she didn't blame her, but she knew it was mainly because of the exchange. Jason wouldn't betray them. He always did the right thing and he cared too much about Piper, Leo, and Emilia to jeopardize their safety, no matter who he'd see down in Camp Jupiter.