Cora came over to our table with a plate of berry cobbler in her hand and three forks in the other. "Say chief," she whispered to Charlie. "Boys want to know, you find anything down by Queets River today?"

I saw a group of older men look over their shoulders at our table as they tried to listen. Dad shifted in his chair uncomfortably. "The suspect's moving east. Kitsap County Sheriff is taking over from here. They're putting extra guys on."

Cora brushed her hands against her pants and forced a small smile. "Hope they catch him fast."

I picked up a single french fry and used it to poke at the others in the basket. "So, how are you and Edythe? I would've thought you two were moving too fast."

Beau looked over at me. We shared a silent staring contest while Charlie started picking at the cobbler. Beau was the first to break eye contact and look down at his bowl of salad. "Didn't expect that from you — seeing as you and Edward were becoming so close."

I mentally cursed when Charlie lifted his gaze at me. "Edward? Isn't he too old for you?"

"He's seventeen — he's a junior, I'm a junior." I quickly corrected.

Part of me was jealous that Beau could get away with certain things and me being Charlie's little girl — the father daughter cliche was as strong as ever. He was like my best friend, Charlie and I, but he was still as protective as a german shepard.

When we got back home I went straight to my room and locked the door behind me. I was bouncing around on my toes, still full of excitement and endearment from my previous day with Edward. It felt good enough that I was encouraged to call my mother — for the first time in months, maybe years.

Usually our talks were directly over Charlie's phone and lasted only five minutes or less. This would be the first time I've ever contacted her on my own, but I wanted to share with her my excitement.

Besides, I still owned her a phone call after Beau annoyingly told her about the accident with Tyler and Edward. She probably thought I was dead by now somewhere in a ditch.

I sat on the edge of my bed and nervously plucked out my phone from my back pocket. I dialed her number by memory and it only took a single heartbeat before she answered.

"Hello? Aspen?"

I inhaled sharply and pressed the phone against my ear. "Hey mom."

"Is everything alright? Are you okay? I heard about the accident, I waiting patiently for you to call — "

"I know," I responded apologetically. "I'm sorry I kept you waiting."

Rene sighed heavily on the other line and I could've sworn I heard her sniffle a bit. "No it's okay," she reassured. "It's just so good to hear your voice. How are you? How's school?"

"School's school," I shrugged casually. "Still doing well in all my classes — junior year has probably been the most challenging year so far but it's bearable."

"I'm so happy to hear that." She sounded genuine over the phone and I could almost hear her smile, the joy behind her voice and my heart fluttered. Occasionally I did miss this part of her.

I bit down on my lip not knowing what else to say but in the background I could hear a loud crack and my eyebrow raised curiously. "How's Phil? Is that him playing baseball?"

Rene laughed. "Yes, sorry about that. Spring training is rough — Phil's working so hard." I heard another loud crack but ignored it as she continued to ramble. "We're looking around for a house to rent, in case it becomes permanent." There was a brief pause. "You'd like Jacksonville, baby."