Somewhere Only We Know

Start from the beginning

I hear her gasp as she takes in the appearance of the shop and she squeezes my hand slightly. 

<><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

I couldn’t find a picture of what I was thinking of, so just use your imagination! :D

<><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Oh, Darren! It’s just so cute!” she says, and I laugh slightly at her reply.

An elderly couple walk by behind us, and I hear the lady say: “What a cute couple!” fondly to her partner.

Aisha must have heard her too because she quickly drops my hands, as if she’d only just realised she’d been holding them. I quickly walk in front of her and open the door, before it gets awkward.

 I bow her into the room and she does a little courtesy to add to the effect as she enters. We both laugh and any hint of awkwardness disappears.

 “Darren!” The elderly owner of the shop, Florence, rushes towards me and suddenly engulfs me in a hug. She quickly lets go and tells me off:

 “You never come into our shop anymore, I still remember when you used to be nine years old, (see what I did there) and you would run in and scream for your favourite ice cream until I served it for you.”

 “I know Florence, I’m sorry! It’s just that I’ve been so busy with everything and-”

 “I don’t want your excuses, although I’ve no doubt there good ones. Now who’s this?” She cuts me of, gesturing towards Aisha.

 “Florence, this is my friend, Aisha. Aisha, Florence,” I say, gesturing to each person in turn.

 Aisha smiles and says: “It’s lovely to meet you. This is a very cute shop you have!”

 “Thank you! Now, what would you kids like?” She asks, slipping back behind the counter.

 I hope this means I was off the hook, that was extremely embarrassing, especially in front of Aisha.

 I walk forward to the counter and pull Aisha along behind me.

 “Can we have...” I pause for a second and look at Aisha.

“Can you order for me?” She asks, with a smile.

 “Sure, can we have two sundaes with all the toppings?” I smile, thinking: we’ll see how she manages with that….

 Florence is known for her AMAZING sundaes, but they also take ages to eat as they are MASSIVE!

 I grab our order from the counter and thank Florence before turning around to find Aisha already sat at the booth by the window.

 I walk over to her and sit down, sliding her ice cream across the table.

Aisha’s POV

“Thanks!” I say as he slides my ice cream across the table towards me and sits down on the opposite side of the booth.

 “So, where are you from?” He asks, catching me off guard.

 “Well, I was born in England and I grew up there, then I came to America to continue with my studies and left university two years ago.” I reply, smiling.