X

"This night is sparkling, don't you let it goI'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way homeI'll spend forever wondering if you knewI was enchanted to meet you

I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you."
Enchanted - Taylor Swift

IT WAS 00:05, and Daphne still hadn't shown up.

A part of him was relieved. The other, sad. The first part was telling him it was good that she might've stood him up; she was a person he shouldn't have been affiliating with, a girl who barely knew about the wizarding world and someone his momma and uncle would've certainly disapproved of.

The other part was sad because Daphne was a nice girl. He was beginning to like her, and he felt seen by her. She liked to listen to him talk, and she was curious. She made him feel heard. And, a small part of him longed to make friendships. Not like he disliked Nott, Blaise, and Draco; of course he liked them. It was just that, maybe, it could be nice to expand his circle of friendships.

This tiny part of him ached for someone who would see him as Theo, an 11-year-old boy who liked origami and puzzles, not Theseus Carrow, the legacy of the Carrow family and the future of the wizarding world.

Theo had two sides: the dominant one, the boy who wanted to be the pride of his mother and uncle, who was gladly accepting his glorious destiny and put his family's joy on top of his own, and the dormant one, who was just a fella wanting to grow up and be free.

Of course, the dominant one had prevailed his entire life. This side had convinced him his uncle and momma's expectations were more important than his feelings, that glory and power were all he needed.

The side that had always been dormant was just beginning to awake. It was slowly doing its effects now that he was far away from his uncle and mother. It would creep up with small thoughts, doubts, questions.

This new side was begging him to talk to her. Daphne felt like the taste of freedom he had been secretly aching, but he was too afraid. Something told him that she was just like him, a person who silently sought a way out of control, even if she didn't realize it.

It's not like he knew anything about her. Daphne was weirdly secretive about her life and family, but she was very open about her taste. He knew she was from New York, and that she had a sister. However he didn't know about her parents, or how she found out she was a witch.

But he knew Daphne liked sunsets, the stars, sports, random facts, and video games. She felt more comfortable during autumn and loved the color red. She liked strawberries and chocolates, flower crowns, and the sound of ocean waves. Daphne liked to talk about the planets, music made by Queen, and movies with Tom Cruise.

And knowing all of that– was a problem. He shouldn't know this much about a girl who couldn't be a part of his destiny. Daphne Anoixi had no place in his future.