"However, before the new life could take its first proper breath, the plant wreathed and the leaves charred until none of it was left. Startled by the death, the star began to weep. From its tears rose the oceans, but the star feared its intense energy might lead to evaporation before any life could be formed. So, it transformed into an eternal flame, leaving its immense power to scatter throughout the world until it was no bigger than the palm of a hand.

"The darkness immediately noticed the shift in power and went to snuff out its light and return the world to what it was before. The elements that the star had given new life and purpose refused to stand by as the darkness destroyed their mother.

"In their current state, they were bound by laws and reliant on each other, unable to protect the unaware flame. So, the earth molded bodies from its toughest substance.

"It gave the bodies wings to soar through the air, claws and teeth to defy even the fiercest mountains, and scales to withstand the hottest flame and dive through the brutal oceans.

"Each element fused with a body, which released them from their laws and allowed them to control their elements without depending on the others.

"In the nick of time, the dragons chased the darkness back, protecting the vulnerable star. However, the star felt bad for the darkness and gave it purpose, too. It split the day, offering the darkness the night, where all would sleep and peace would reign.

"The darkness seemed content, but the elements struggled to trust the new alliance and built an island around the star, where the elements could ensure the star's safety and forever reject the darkness."

The tip of my tongue itched with the urge to spill my burning questions. Was this the island that once harbored this alleged star? Was the star still here? Were the bodies of the elements the first dragons?

But I kept my lips sealed. I gathered Pangea would answer them at some point throughout her story.

"Centuries passed where life evolved, starting from the ocean, advancing to the ground, and eventually even conquering the skies. Even the darkness had grown fond of the concept of life and molded creatures that thrived in the night.

"The world soon became a vast place, and the elements struggled to keep up with maintaining order. To ease the burden, the elements agreed to forge a new lineage of creatures modeled in their image with a fraction of their power.

"Dragons were born, created to protect the star while the elements returned to their natural state so that the world may evolve without divine intervention.

"As all other animals and living organisms, the dragons bred, evolved, and their numbers grew, but none ever left the island and their beloved mother behind. That was until Jonathan somehow found the isolated island and stumbled across the golden cave where he encountered a young dragon born of the sea."

I held my breath as a thousand scenarios flashed past me, and a million emotions threatened to tear my lungs apart. Jonathan—the explorer, the peacekeeper, the king—face to face with a dragon. I wondered what went through his mind at that exact moment. Did he know dragons existed, or had they been creatures of lore and fantasy?

"Paralyzed by fear, Jonathan watched as the dragon rose before him, spreading its extensive wings. However, as surprised as Jonathan was to stand before a creature spun by fantasy, the dragon, too, looked at the human as if he were a creature of illusions.

"Curious, the dragon examined the human, looking past his puny skin and into his heart, where his soul swirled like the ocean waves in a calm lagoon.

"Whether it was fate or a cruel play of the rousing darkness, the dragon found himself staring at a mirror image of his own soul in a body that barely would survive a push from the purest of elements. Something fell into place between them—like two broken pieces finally mending.