Lost

~Branch's POV~

I opened the trap door to my bunker with a backpack full of my stuff and began my walk to Poppy's house in the pouring rain. She had suggested I get a ride from John Dory and Rhonda, but I felt like being alone. To be honest, I didn't even notice the icy raindrops stinging my skin. I felt... numb. As the sun began to rise it shone beams of light through the clouds, illuminating the nature around me. I didn't realize we stayed up all night, luckily the tiredness hasn't hit me yet.

It seemed like I'd been walking for nearly an hour, which was strange since Poppy's house wasn't that far away. The thought made me look at my surroundings, being met with miles of trees. I was so out of it, I had somehow wandered into the forest. I turned around and headed back the way I came, hoping I wouldn't get lost. I finally started to feel the cold and started shivering. I'm completely soaked, freezing, and lost in the woods. Poppy is gonna kill me.

~Poppy's POV~

"I'm going to kill that troll!" I nervously paced around the room. "He should have been here thirty minutes ago; I think something happened."

Viva rolled her eyes. "Poppy, all that guy does is make you worry! Now I'm worried about you!"

"Vivs he's my boyfriend, of course I'm gonna worry. Plus, have you seen how grey he is? What if he goes back to hating everyone and surviving in his bunker?" I plopped down on the floor, my head in my hands.

Viva looked at her, her eyes full of pity. She hated seeing her sister like this. "Come on, let's go find him."

I looked up at her, my cheeks stained with tears. "Really?"

"Of course! Now, grab an umbrella."

The two headed out in the rain, looking for John Dory assuming he gave Branch a ride. They found Rhonda fast asleep and knocked on the door. It took several minutes and many more knocks before he answered.

He looked half asleep and only wore shorts. "Hey guys what are you doing here so early? It's like 5am." he yawned.

"Sorry to wake you, but didn't branch ask for a ride to my place?" I fidgeted with my hair.

"What? No, I haven't seen him since the fire started."

Me and Viva looked at each other with concern.

"Why? What's going on?"

"He was supposed to show up a while ago... I don't know I'm probably just overreacting."

"Well, hop in, let's see if he's at the bunker."

We hopped into Rhonda, ignoring the musty smell. It didn't look like JD was much of a cleaner. It took a second to wake Rhonda and get her going, but once he did, we arrived at the bunker in no time. I knocked on the trapdoor contemplating if I should break in.

"You know, he probably fell asleep. Yesterday was a long day." Said John Dory, sipping on a fresh cup of coffee.

"Well, I'm not leaving until I make sure" I knocked harder on the door. A faraway-sounding voice called up to say they were coming. After a minute of waiting, Floyd emerged with a head of messy hair.

"Hi Poppy, Viva, JD, what brings you here?"

"Hi Floyd, um, is Branch in there?"

"Nah, he left for your place."

Viva shook her head, "Oh no..." While John Dory chimed in with a, "That's not good."

I tried to ignore the panic that was settling in, "He's missing Floyd, we need your help planning an actual rescue party."

The four of them quickly got to work and split up, trailing along the path he normally took. The rain had finally stopped, and the sun fully raised making the search somewhat easier. Poppy and Floyd rode on caterbugs, heading towards the forest. They found a promising trail of troll prints and followed them until they stopped at a river.

I stepped off my caterbug and walked along one side of the river while Floyed searched the other side. I was so worried, I felt sick. "Branch!?" I called out into the forest. Maybe Viva was right... maybe he stresses me out too much for my own good. I quickly pushed that thought away. If there's one thing I know, it's that I love Branch. He was always there for me, and I'll always be there for him. No matter how hard things get.

~Floyd's POV~

I walked along the riverbank, full of regret. I had never really been there for Branch like I should have. Maybe if I was more present, he wouldn't have to bottle up all his emotions and hide away from everyone, like he used to do. I stopped getting lost in my thoughts and regrets and continued calling his name. All of the sudden, I heard a familiar voice call back.

"Floyd?!" Branch emerged from behind a tree.

"Oh my gosh Branch!" I ran to him and trapped him in a hug. "We've all been worried bro, what are you doing out here?" I noticed his shivering. "Your ice cold! Have you been out here all morning?"

"I'm sorry, I got lost and distracted... where's Poppy? Is she ok?"

I took off my jacket and wrapped it around him, "She's fine, lets go find her and get you inside." We both ran in the direction Poppy went and found her sitting by the river. She looked up and almost burst into tears.

"BRANCH!?" She hugged him so tight, I thought he would pop.

"I'm so sorry Poppy, I got distracted and lost and-"

"It's ok, but you're freezing! Floyd, will you please go tell the others we found him?"

I nodded.

Branch sneezed, "I didn't want everyone to be involved or worry about me."

"Well, we were cause we love you. You're worth our time and love, I promise." She felt his forehead with the back of her hand. "Oh no, you're feverish. Let's go home, ok?"

Branch sniffled, "Ok."