Chapter 1 - Nightmare

Chapter 1

"Lyra? Lyra? Where are you sweetie?" Called a sweet voice as it echoed through the hall.

I didn't move I was hidden under one of the large circle tables. I was hiding in the great hall, a large room which was decorated with colours of red and gold, with multiple large tables covered in white table cloths, scattered around the room. At the end of the room was a large rectangular window which looked down upon the villages below and across the large open fields and mountains which stood tall in the distance. It was a warm summer's day, not a cloud in the sky.

In front of this window were two large thrones made of gold with large wolfen carvings on their backs.

I looked out from where I was hiding and saw a tall woman walk past me. Her dress dusted the stone floor as she walked. It was a long white chiffon, strapless dress which flowed behind her as she glided across the room.

I giggled as I hid back under the table, but she heard me.

"Lyra Wisterian, you are a princess, please get out from under that table," the woman sighed.

"But mum!" I huffed as I wiggled my way out from under the table cloth. "I just wanted to play!"

I looked up at the woman as she towered over me, she was my mother Charlotte Wisterian. She had long wavy blonde hair and stunning amber eyes, her skin was as pale as moonlight and her lips were as pink as a summer's rose.

She stared down at me inspecting my clothing, before kneeling down to my height.

"I understand that my child, but today is your brother's 15th birthday. You must be clean for the celebrations." She smiled as she dusted the dirt from my long red dress.

"Mum, I don't understand. Why is this birthday so special? Nothing like this happened on my 10th birthday." I said in a whine.

My mother's eyes softened, "your last birthday was just as special! The only difference is that the leaders of all the packs in the country must come for Christian's birthday."

"But why?" I asked as my mother stood tall and took my hand.

She began to walk me towards the entrance of the hall which leads to the grand staircase.

"Your brother is 15 and will now be named as the heir to the throne."

"Why?"

"Because he is the eldest." She grinned as the servants opened the large wooden door in front of her.

"What about me? What am I going to do when I'm older?" I pondered aloud.

"Anything you want darling," my mother soothed as she began to walk me up the grand staircase towards my bedroom.

"I want to be a warrior mum! I want to fight!" I squeeled in excitement and my mother giggled.

"Maybe not that. I would be too worried! You may have to ask your father." She laughed as she lifted me up and held me in her arms.

"Will Dad be there tonight?" I beamed. I don't usually get to see my father, I have gone months at a time without seeing him, he was always working but when we were alone with him he was a doting father but very different in front of others.

I looked into my mother's face as a happy grin grew on her lips and her cheeks grew pink with blush.

"He will be there, he will definitely be there. There would be no way he wouldn't attend your brothers birthday!"

I squeeled in excitement as my mum came up to my bedroom door, throwing it open.

I stared upon my bedroom, decorated in reds and oranges, a large double bed in the middle of the room was covered by long see through orange curtains. My carpet a soft cream colour. There were two white doors in my room one on the left and one on the right. The left leading to my ensuite and the right leading to my walk in wardrobe.