5. nerves & kisses

Start from the beginning

"Just a quick peck," I finally succumbed.

If there was no other way around it, (and I was most certainly not slicing my hands open) it would be better to get it over with quickly, wouldn't it? There was no point in dragging it out.

I took a deep breath and mentally patted myself in the back for also brushing my teeth while I had been washing off the blood.

I did not want a stinky mouth while kissing Lucifer.

Funny how today was just a long list of statements I never thought I would ever say.

He nodded solemnly, making it look like he was agreeing with me, and I knew instantly that he had different plans than just a quick peck.

However, I had him at the balls with my rule on this one.

The contract needed a kiss to be sealed as binding, but it did not specify the type of kiss or how long it must be. I could step back as soon as I wished and it would be binding. After that, Lucifer would have to try all the other tricks up his sleeve if he wished to seduce me. But he wouldn't get to physically touch me, and while that didn't really stop his charisma from spreading all over me even now, it would hopefully bring some much needed reprieve from any more of tugging-my-hair-behind-my-ear.

He turned to face me, and I realised my hands had started shaking from the nerves.

No matter how much of a human he looked or talked like, he was still a celestial being. And not just any celestial being, but the ruler of Hell.

I would have to be an idiot, or really high on mushrooms, or both honestly, to not be terrified of his next move.

The shaking spread through my whole body, and I could feel my jaw locking in on itself.

This was not good.

I was showing too many weaknesses to a creature infamous throughout history to take advantage of such vulnerabilities.

His ruby eyes missed nothing, making me hate my crumbling resolve even more. How could I turn so weak when I most needed to be at my strongest.

He leaned in, and I closed my eyes, readying myself, but nothing came.

I waited for two beats, before I opened my eyes again to find Lucifer staring at my pale, trembling hands. He did not look up when he asked, "Did you-Did something happen? Should I be made aware of an...incidence, perhaps?"

It took me a minute to realise exactly what he was implying. His entire body was taut with tension, and he refused to meet my eyes, afraid to find a truth he did not want to see.

Some of my previous anxiety soothed at the his thoughtfulness, and a thrill shot up my spine at the knowledge that he would most likely bring a very painful end to anyone who might have hurt me in the past. It was a purely sadistic feeling, but it made me feel powerful in a way I hadn't experienced before.

He did not have to worry, however. I had been an anxious over-thinker my entire life, and this was a pretty standard reaction when I tried to be intimate with someone new. Specially when I did not even the aforementioned person that well.

Still, my hands became slightly more stable as I reached out towards him, "Don't worry, I'm just nervous. Nothing else."

Finally, he looked up, searching my eyes for the truth I spoke. He must have found whatever he was looking for, because he relaxed, and the difference in his posture stood out even more prominently.

"How about," he began, after cooling himself off for a minute, "I lay my head in your lap? You can have full control, then. It could be like a practice test for when we have to do it in front of an audience."

I scrunched my nose quizzically. He was trying to make me comfortable, a notion that in itself seemed weird considering who he was. His suggestion about a practice kiss, however, made perfect sense based off how I was reacting at the moment.

We wouldn't be able to convince a single person with such lacklustre chemistry and half-hearted kisses.

I slowly nodded, crossing my legs and patting at them, letting him know that he could place his head there.

He quickly grabbed a pillow from the couch and kept it in my lap, before laying down on his back.

Subconsciously I stroked his soft, dark hair, making him look up at me. He smirked, "Our very own Spiderman kiss."

I smiled at that and closed the gap between us.

His lips felt even softer than they had looked. I could see him fight with himself to bring his hands up and touch me, but he kept them attached to his torso.

His efforts made me angle his head further, letting him deepen the kiss. He sucked on my lower lip, before his tongue darted out, gently caressing mine.

We remained kissing each other tenderly, as if we had all the time in the world. The way he sucked my lips drove me wild, making me wish he hadn't acted so courteously and kept his hands firmly to himself, but that thought reminded me of why he had done so in the first place and I broke apart, gasping for air.

His sparkling eyes were brighter than I had seen them so far.

Reality finally settled in. I had just kissed Lucifer- the Devil, and I had liked it.