•11•

Saaliyah Moon

 Pulling my client from under the dryer I quickly remove the pins from her dry hair

Pulling my client from under the dryer I quickly remove the pins from her dry hair. She'd come to to me at the bidding stage of her loc journey ready to be ride of them because she was tired of going through the "ugly" stage. I hated that people associated the length of hair with beauty, especially black women. Too often are we hostages of our hair. It's being a status symbol of nothing else. The ideology of good and bad hair was completely nonsensical to me. I convinced her to keep her locs and they were flourishing, now hanging mid back and dyed a vibrant blue. After placing her hair into two low petal buns and slicking her edges I spin her so she can get a
better look. I chuckle as she jumps up and squeals, touching her head admiringly.

"You do it everytime. I love it. I hope you're back to stay. Key is good but you're the best." Pulling a wad of money from her Goyard bag she hands it to me without even looking blowing me a kiss on her way out.

Counting out the money I'm not shocked in the slightest that she gave me a four hundred dollar tip. Stuffing the money in the cash box I take a seat happy that I had a two hour break between now and my last client of the day. I'm glad to be back at work. Laying up under Ennis and spending his money was fun but there's nothing like having your own. And doing hair is my passion. Being able to uplift someone with a couple hot tools and my imagination was my gift and I intend to keep using it whether Ennis provided everything I needed or not.

Scrolling through DoorDash to find something that sounds appetizing I feel someone's eyes on me. Looking up I'm shocked to see Darrell stand in my suites doorway.

Me and Ennis had negotiated on me having twenty four hour security but know I wish I had just let him have his way

"Can I help you?" I don't hide the stank look on my face. The last time I'd laid eyes on him he was balls deep in one of my stylist.

"I see you're still a little upset. How many times do I have to tell you I'm sorry before you forgive me?"

"I can forgive you and still want nothing to do with you. Why are you here?" My patience was wearing thin.

"I don't understand how you can sit there and act like I wasn't the best think that ever happened to you. You should be glad I ever gave you the time of day." I smirk standing up so could be eye to eye with him.

"You weren't even my best eater let alone the best thing to ever happen to me. You can take that second rate dick and get the fuck-" his hand claws around my neck and I'm being lifted into the air before i know it. My back slams again the flower wall of my suit rattle the products on the wall beside it. I struggle for air as his face twists into an ugly snarl. This was yet another reason why me and this psycho couldn't work. He had little dick syndrome and it made him act violently.

"You and that disrespectful ass mouth. Maybe I should give you something to do with it."

"I'm not really in the mood for beer weenies but thanks for offering." My laugh is squeak but seeing how my comment pisses him off only makes me laugh more.

"We see how funny you think shit is when your my wife and nobody can save you."

"You must be dumb if you think that will ever happen."

"Slim has promised you to me." I still try to process the insanity that just came out his mouth.

"Both of y'all are ditzy if you think I'm just going to jump when you say so."

"I know you're not that's exactly when I've come up with a couple of incentives that'll guarantee you fall in-Ughh!" Blood splatters on my face and Darrell drops me and holds his bleeding shoulder. Looking up see Keyuanna aim her pink 9mm Luger.

"Now I have nine more rounds so I suggest you take your thumb looking ass out of her before I empty them into your bitch ass head. And if I see your sorry ass around here again I'll be the least of your worries." He shoots me a heated look, the promise that this wasn't the last I'd see of him clear his eyes. Rubbing my neck I felt like a fool for ever being in love with him. Keyuanna walks him out guys flush against his head. She locks the door behind him before turning to me with rage still burning in her eyes.

"I already know what you're about to say so please save it." Crossing her arms she looks at me as if I'd lost my mind.

"I'm not pussy whipped like Ennis. I don't jump you say so. I've been understanding with this whole mess you got going on with your family but this is our place of business. Whatever you have going on the other side of that's front door needs to stay there." Tears brim in my eyes and I swear I've cried more in the last month than I have in my whole life.

"I did ask for this." Her eyes soften as she pulls me into a hug. I sob into her neck unable to keep it together.

"I know you wanted to come back to work but maybe it was too soon." She rubs my back in soothing circles, her words spoken softly as not to upset me further.

"I need to work sitting in the house was driving me crazy. Hair is my passion I can't give that up just because my sperm doner and my ex have it in there head that I'm a piece of property that can be bartered for." Pulling away I wipe my face and nose with a Kleenex that she pulled from her ever present fanny pack.

"Well you need to get a gone and get acquainted with it fast. If Darrell shows up again when I'm not her I need to know that he won't be able to kill or kidnap you."

"I will but please don't tell Ennis. I want to be the one to tell him." She sighs and nods.

"It's not like you can keep it from him for long anyway." She points at my neck and I turn to inspect it in the mirror damn near crying out at what I see. My dark skin does nothing to hide the marks from Darrell's attempted strangulation. My throat is hot and d tender to the touch. Swallowing is painful. Turning my neck from side to side the damage is evident. Keyunna catches my eye in the mirror shaking her head with eyes full of pity. Taking my phone from my pocket she reschedules my last appointment and text one of mg guards to come retrieve me.

"Come on. We need to get home before Ennis and try to figure out how to break the new in a way that won't have him running rampant in the streets looking for Darrell. That million dollar coochie of yours keeps getting you in trouble. You might want to lock that cat up for ten time being." Rolling my eyes at her foolishness I grab my bag and help her lock up just Amir and Ares pull up. Ares hopes out wrapping Key in a hug and pressing a tender kiss to the side of her head. I can even admire them for long before Amir is gentle tugging at my face to get a better look at my neck. His eyes squint as he shakes his head.

"E is going to put a toe tag on whoever did this and maybe even me for not being here to stop it." He drops his hand and opens the door to the backseat ushers me and Key in. The men both jump back into the front seats and we're off the drive home done in complete silence. I can't beg them to keep this a secret so I try to prepare myself for Ennis reaction. Knowing full well that Darrell just signed his own death warrant.