49 - a friendship

Start from the beginning

     "Okay, okay. My fault for not realizing a pinkie promise was a big oath."

     "So, pinkie promise? You won't throw me in the ocean again?"

     "Well . . ."

     A mascara tube sailed from the bathroom doorway and into the closet, bouncing against Adrien's head.

     "You're insufferable!" Muse yelled. Then she added, "Can I have that back?"

     "Yeah." Adrien grinned, catching the mascara tube before it rolled underneath the drawers. She closed the light of the closet and stepped into the bathroom doorway. "Good aim."

     Her breath caught as she watched Muse lean over the counter, lining her lips in a warm, rosy pink shade that matched her blush. Her mouth had parted slightly. Her lips looked fuller and poutier than usual.

     The idea of kissing her paralyzed Adrien for a moment. She imagined reaching over, turning Muse's face to hers. She imagined their lips sealing together, how soft and lush she would taste. The way Adrien's fingers would slide through those golden curls, cupping the smooth skin of her neck. Kissing her senseless, until that lip colour smeared off. 

     She shook herself a little. They were supposed to be friends. 

     It was normal to have these thoughts, wasn't it? Only barely a week ago, Adrien had told her she loved her. Had wanted to be married to her forever. In the span of that time, they'd confessed their love only to agree just yesterday there could be nothing more than teamwork and friendship between them. 

     The thoughts would fade once Adrien became accustomed to the idea of them being just friends, wouldn't they?

     It didn't help that Muse looked so irritatingly fucking attractive putting on makeup. Something about the way her face turned concentrated, and how she leaned into the mirror, her touch so precise. Adrien wanted to watch forever. 

     "Here," she said at last.

     Muse glanced at her through the mirror.

     Adrien's heart stuttered in her chest. She kept her face neutral. "The lip colour, um, looks good. The pink is nice."

     Muse was silent for a moment. "Thanks."

     "Do you know how much longer you'll need? I'll text Grey to let them know what time we'll be meeting them."

     "Five more minutes."

     Adrien nodded, then texted Grey they'd need another half hour. 

GREY and Sherry were waiting in the lobby when Adrien and Muse finally made their way out of their suite. Muse had changed her outfit four times before settling on a white tennis dress, and her hair five times before deciding to wear it half-up in a little bun and half down over her shoulders. The entire time, she had kept saying, "One more minute, I swear!" 

     Adrien had made a mental note to add extra to the time she thought Muse would need.

     But she didn't mind being late, especially not to a reunion with Grey and Sherry. 

     "Well, here come the lovebirds!" Grey boomed, rising to his feet as he saw them approach.

     Sunlight streamed through the interwoven layers of green vines covering the glass-domed ceiling and walls. The sound of birds singing and the quiet rush of small waterfalls streaming all around them dulled in contrast to Grey's deep, reverberating voice.

     Muse's hair glistened like threaded gold. "Hi, Grey. Hi, Sherry. Where's . . ."

     Adrien had been wondering the same thing herself.

     "Grey Junior was being a bit of a crybaby!" Grey said, his chest rumbling with laughter. 

     How a two-month old baby could be considered a crybaby, Adrien didn't know.

     "The hotel staff has an infancy station where they tend to babies of two and under. We let them have him soon as we got here." He hugged Sherry a little too tightly to his side. Her face whitened. "Anyway, good pick on the resort, huh, Adrien?"

      "Yeah, thanks," she said. She still wanted to know how he had learned the details to their honeymoon.

      "Well, I'm off to the room to freshen up," he said. "How does dinner tonight sound, just the four of us?"

      He seemed a little too cheerful for Adrien's liking. She needed to know what had put him in such a good mood. Whatever it was, it meant nothing good for her and Muse.

      She glanced at Muse, whose eyes were already on her, large and glowing hazel in the sunlight. Almost as if they could communicate telepathically, Muse nodded ever so slightly.

     "Sounds good, Grey," Adrien said.

     "Alright, then! Six at the Japanese one, then. Sushi for everybody!"

     Without waiting for any agreement, he sauntered down the lobby. His heavy footsteps against the gleaming tiled floors echoed long after he was gone.

      Sherry stood pale and a little shaky, a deer caught in headlights. She seemed almost afraid of Adrien. 

      "Do you want to join us by the pool before dinner?" Muse asked kindly.

      "It wasn't my idea to come here," Sherry blurted out. "I'm sorry we're intruding on your honeymoon. I―I don't know what my husband's up to. But he got some news on the plane, and I think he―"

      The hotel manager, Cai, materialized as if from mid-air. Sherry jumped a little.

      "Hello, everyone, how are you finding the Empress so far? Is it to your liking?"

      "It―it's very beautiful," Sherry squeaked. "Um, I have to go check on Grey Junior."

      Cai turned to Adrien and Muse. For the first time, Adrien noticed something sinister about him―the dark way in which his eyes gleamed, the crafted smile too sharp at the edges.

      "Hello, Mrs. and Mrs. Vitale," he said. "I hope you're finding your stay enjoyable so far. Have you sampled the plunge pool yet, or the underwater bar?"

      "No," Adrien said, before Muse could respond. She didn't want Muse to speak a word to him, though she didn't know why. There was something wrong about him she couldn't pinpoint right then. Was he somehow working with Grey, or was she becoming paranoid? "But we'll be sure to try those soon."

      "Remember, tour at ten a.m. tomorrow," he chirped. "Bright and early, ladies."

      "Yes," Adrien said curtly, wondering how she could cancel without alerting Grey of her suspicions. 

      Cai smiled widely, his teeth glittering too-white. "I'm sure you and your wife will find the tour much to your liking."

***

Reunited with my cutie pie gf this weekend. 

From the moon and back,
Sarai