30 - a time

THE glass sliding door in Muse and Adrien's wedding suite led to a private beach. White, silky sand that dripped between her fingers and clear, glistening turquoise waters. Muse had naturally taken this time to live out her Mamma Mia fantasies. 

     After finding the wedding dress and tux laid out on the bed, Muse had decided to get ready―though they wouldn't be married for hours yet. She'd given herself long, sharp cat-like eyeliner, in memory of her Egyptian mother, and dusted silver glitter powder onto her cheeks. Then she'd slipped on all her gold bracelets―enough on each arm that they clinked and rattled against each other, glittering under the white sun―and put on her dress.

     She hadn't picked the dress herself. It had been too stressful, in the end.

     She'd simply told Adrien, Surprise me. 

     The rule about not seeing the wedding dress before the wedding didn't apply, not if their marriage would be fake. And now, surveying the soft fabric draping the bed, Muse couldn't help but be glad she'd let Adrien choose. She would have never known to look for something this perfect.

      It was a simple dress. Soft fabric, like a night gown or a shift. It would ripple and flow in the summery breeze, not quite reaching her knees. Perfect for getting married in Greece.

      It was only mid-afternoon, but Muse tried it on anyway. What did she have to lose? Adrien hadn't arrived yet anyway.

      She was trying not to worry about that. Adrien would come.

      For now, she had the sea and the sand and her childhood dream to live out, of sprawling out on the shore and dancing ankle-deep in the water. Muse slid open the glass door. The first kiss of the sun on her face made her sigh.

       The sand beneath her bare feet stung. She broke into a run. Never in her life had she seen water this clear, this crystalline. It wasn't fully blue nor green, but more of a swirling mixture of the two. When she reached the precipice of the ocean, she had to take a pause. Had to breathe it in―the sea salt, the heat, the water. It tasted sweet in her mouth, on her tongue. She needed to be closer. To feel it. 

     She kneeled by the damp shoreline and laid her palm flat on the ground, waiting for the approach of the next aquamarine wave―

       "Muse?"

        She lost her balance. Falling backwards. Damp sand on her thighs and water, splashing all down her back and into her hair. Soaked. Rising to her, feet, spluttering―

       "Adrien?"

       Adrien blinked against the sunlight and dove towards her, trying to pull her out of the water. "I didn't mean to startle you―"

       "Oh, my wedding dress―" Muse grabbed Adrien's hand but slipped, dragging them both into the knee-deep current.

       "Your wedding dress―?" was all Adrien had time to say, before swallowing a mouthful of saltwater in the next wave.

       Flustered, laughing now, Muse said, "What a pair we make."

       With some effort, Adrien rose―bringing Muse along with her. In one swift movement, Muse was suddenly in Adrien's arms, bridal-style. The way she'd been carried that night they had dessert at the diner, pretending to be asleep after the ride to Adrien's apartment (slut hut). 

       Being held like this, in her wet wedding dress, on the shore of Greece in mid-afternoon, meant Muse had finally achieved her childhood dreams. She didn't think anything ever again would come close to being this romantic.