14 - Haywire

They didn't make it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked. Adelia snarled at him.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Adelia cursed under her breath. By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have bothered her, but the two other guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than she wanted to deal with, especially since Piper and she were armed only with daggers. Annabeth had her sword as well but it is unlikely they got close enough to use it.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

Adelia grinned, "If you skewer him, can I roast him on the spit?"

Annabeth sent her reprimanding look.

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Adelia saw no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. If Adelia could get Annabeth on board, she could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans.

She was running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tasty Greek demigods over here! Adelia couldn't see the flying chariot anymore, but she assumed it was close by. She had to figure out something before more Romans arrived.

She needed help...some kind of distress signal to Coach Hedge, or even better—Percy.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Adelia drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Adelia tried for a dumb-girl smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation.

"You other three..." He pointed his blade at Hazel, Annabeth and Piper. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Adelia's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Adelia threw her arms around him, laughing. "I love you!" He wrapped one hand around her waist, the other still holding her dagger.

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.