VIII

Y/N's POV:

I immediately kicked another zombie aside as I backed up, Gwi-nam leaning over the railings, staring at me with malicious intent. Not knowing what else to do, I grabbed the music stand from Cheong-san and swung it as hard as I could, hitting Gwi-nam square in the face. But...it didn't seem like it hurt him at all. He just smirked at me, and I stood there, music stand in hand. Ha. That rhymed.

'Not the time, Y/N.'

I immediately swung the music stand at him again, but he caught it with one hand and dragged me by my collar towards him. "Give me your eye, huh?"

"Let go of me!" I yelled, trying to pull away, but then someone slammed Gwi-nam against the wall, making him let go of me.

"What the hell?" he groaned, and I looked at Nam-ra, whose left eye was suddenly bubbling red. Veins stood out on the left side of her face.

"Why didn't you die?" she asked him, squeezing harder.

Gwi-nam groaned as he glared at Nam-ra, who then threw him down onto the tarp, making it fall down and the zombies freed themselves.

"Thank you," I told Nam-ra as she was looking at her fingers.

Suddenly, there was a click, and my head whipped around.

'The smoke detector...but who set a fire?'

There was no time. "Open it!" I yelled, then turned to the boys. "On three! One, two, three!"

Cheong-san, Su-hyeok and I shoved the zombies back down the stairs and ran for the door, which was now being shoved open.

"Look! A chopper!" Gyeong-su pointed out.

And it was; a chopper was just starting to take off.

"Hey!" I yelled, waving my arms wildly. "Over here! We're here!" I turned to the rest of my friends. "Try to get their attention! I'll make sure no zombies get out."

They all nodded (reluctantly) and then raced off, shouting for help and for the chopper to come back.

It didn't.

I could only watch helplessly as my friends tried to unsuccessfully get the chopper's attention.

I breathed heavily as I slunk down to the ground, closing my eyes.

Were any of my other friends okay?

I remembered Kang-Dae and Min-su heading toward the front entrance of the school yesterday, so maybe they were safe? Where had Hyun-Ki been heading to again? Also the front of the school, right? And Hyeon-jae had been heading for the archery center, hadn't she? Was it even safe in the archery center?

I breathed out. They were safe. They had to be. I couldn't be the only one in that friend group still alive. Right?

That was when someone slammed their fist on the door.

I scrambled up, backing away from the door. Not Gwi-nam. Not now. That was the last thing I needed right now.

Then the thudding stopped.

I hesitated before walking slowly towards it, putting a hand on the door, not daring to speak or even breathe.

Another thud made me slowly walk back, my hands shaking. I didn't want my friends to see I was scared, so I pocketed them, but I was pretty sure it was already too late.

'Not Gwi-nam, not Gwi-nam, not Gwi-nam, not Gwi-nam.'

Since when was I so scared of Gwi-nam?

But then the thudding stopped. Completely.