Chapter 2: I Must Not Tell Lies

The Great Hall buzzed with anticipation as Dumbledore began addressing the students about recent events and the need for unity in the face of dark times. However, their attention was abruptly hijacked as Dolores Umbridge, with her saccharine smile and toad-like demeanor, rose to speak.

"Hem, hem," it became clear that shehad got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.

Dumbledore, his expression unreadable, nodded for Umbridge to continue, though his eyes held a glint of caution.

"Thank you, Headmaster Dumbledore, for those kind words of welcome," Professor Umbridge simpered. 

"Hem, hem."

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me! I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, andI'm sure we'll be very good friends!"  

A murmur rippled through the Great Hall, whispers of apprehension and skepticism echoing among the students.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

"Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited."

Harry felt a cold knot of dread settle in his stomach as Umbridge's eyes lingered on him for a moment too long. He knew trouble was brewing, and he braced himself for the storm that was to come.

                                                                        ~*.*~

When they entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom they found Professor Umbridge already seated at the teacher's desk, wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on top of her head. Harry was reminded forcibly of a large fly perched unwisely on top of an even larger toad. The class was quiet as it entered the room; Professor Umbridge was, as yet, an unknown quantity and nobody knew yet how strict a disciplinarian she was likely to be. 

"Well, good afternoon!" she said when finally the whole class had sat down. 

A few people mumbled "Good afternoon," in reply. 

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge." One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!" 

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," they chanted back at her. 

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please." 

Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order "wands away"had never yet been followed by a lesson they had found interesting.Harry shoved his wand back inside his bag and pulled out quill, inkIn the first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson with Umbridge, tension crackled in the air as she laid down her rules with a sickly sweet smile.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way —."

Harry's jaw clenched as anger boiled within him. The absurdity of her denial, the blatant disregard for the truth, ignited a firestorm of defiance within him.