Chapter 3: The Goblet of Fire

As the flames of the Goblet of Fire danced and flickered, the anticipation in the Great Hall was palpable. The students leaned forward in their seats, eager to see whose name in Hogwarts would emerge. The tension in the air was broken by the sudden appearance of a parchment scroll. The crowd fell silent as Professor Dumbledore stepped forward to read the name.

"The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

"No!" said Ron loudly, but nobody heard him except Harry; the uproar from the next table was too great.  Every single Hufflepuff had jumped to his or her feet, screaming and stamping, as Cedric made his way past them, grinning broadly, and headed off toward the chamber behind the teachers' table. 

"Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster." Dumbledore announced, confusion etched in his voice.

"By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real —" 

But Dumbledore suddenly stopped speaking, and it was apparent to everybody what had distracted him.The fire in the goblet had just turned red again. Sparks were flying out of it. A long flame shot suddenly into the air, and born upon it was another piece of parchment. Automatically, it seemed, Dumbledore reached out a long hand and seized the parchment. He held it out and stared at the name written upon it. There was a long pause, during which Dumbledore stared at the slip in his hands, and everyone in the room stared at Dumbledore. And then Dumbledore cleared his throat and read out — 

"Harry Potter."

The tension built again as the Great Hall erupted into chaos. Cheers mixed with boos, and the Gryffindor and Slytherin tables exchanged heated glares. Harry's heart pounded in his chest as he made his way to the front, aware of the eyes boring into him from all directions.

As the news spread throughout Hogwarts, the reactions were mixed. Some were genuinely excited to see the rivalry played out on the Triwizard Tournament stage, while others couldn't resist the opportunity to taunt and tease.

The next few days were a whirlwind of emotions for Harry. He endured snide comments and mocking laughter at every turn. The hallways echoed with whispers and pointed fingers, and the common room became a battleground of glares and muttered insults. 

One evening in the common room, Hermione approached Harry, her expression a mix of concern and solidarity.

"Hey, Harry, you holding up okay?" Hermione asked, her brow furrowed.

Harry shook his head, and Hermione sat next to him on the couch he sat on, talking about how much of a git Ron was for believing that he put his name in the Goblet of Fire.