Verona (Edited 8/31/24)

After Judith finished her discussion with her friends, they parted ways to head to their respective classes.

The rest of the school day felt interminable, bogged down by repetitive and tedious lectures. As the final bell rang, Judith was relieved to see the end of the school day finally arrive.

Before heading back to her dorm, Judith decided to take some time outside to clear her mind. She walked across the campus, taking in the fresh air and enjoying a moment of solitude.

"Haaa... it's great to have some nice fresh air," Judith murmured to herself as she stepped outside. The campus was quieter now, with only a few students scattered about. Her eyes scanned the area for a bench, and once she spotted one under a large oak tree, she made her way over and sat down.

Judith leaned back, closed her eyes, and sighed in contentment. Her backpack was placed by her side, and she allowed herself a brief respite from the day's stresses.

It's good to relax after a whole day of classes, she thought, letting the calm of the moment wash over her.

Her peace was interrupted when she heard footsteps approaching. She kept her eyes closed, hoping to remain undisturbed. However, her tranquility was shattered when a voice broke through the silence.

"Hello, sister."

Judith's eyes snapped open at the familiar voice, and she saw Verona standing before her. The younger girl's presence was unexpected, and her hands were tucked behind her back, her smile tinged with an unsettling curiosity.

"Verona!" Judith exclaimed, startled by her sudden appearance.

Verona's smile widened, and she took a step closer. Judith sat up straight, her posture rigid and her shoulders tensed.

"What are you doing here, Verona? What do you want?" Judith asked, her tone sharp and direct.

Verona sighed theatrically, her expression one of feigned disappointment. "Sister, you're supposed to greet me properly when I say hello."

Judith rolled her eyes in frustration. "Fine. Hello, Verona. There, are you satisfied now? Answer my questions," she demanded, trying to keep her impatience in check.

"Well, Judith, I just happened to spot you outside and thought I'd come over because I was concerned about you being alone. You looked sad, so I thought I should try to cheer you up," Verona replied with a tone of innocent concern.

Judith raised an eyebrow, her skepticism evident. "Cheer me up? That's hard to believe. I would think you came here to gloat about capturing Gabriel's attention so effortlessly."

Because I got fed up with him and accelerated the process of Gabriel canceling the engagement, Judith thought bitterly.

Verona's eyes widened in mock surprise as she placed a hand on her chest. "What do you mean, sister? How could you say that? I never intended to take Gabriel from you! You've completely misunderstood me!"

Judith was supposed to be relaxing, but instead, she was forced to deal with Verona's deceptive act.

"Cut the crap, Verona! I see right through you! I bet you were jealous when our parents discussed my engagement during dinner weeks ago. Now that Gabriel has publicly broken up with me, you must be thrilled! I've heard rumors that he even took you to his dorm! What did you do with him there? Make out with him or something?" Judith said, her voice dripping with feigned accusation, trying to mirror the original's tone.

She was eager to see Verona's reaction to her provocations.

Verona's face displayed genuine surprise at the accusations, but it quickly shifted to a look of amusement.

"Oh, Judith, Gabriel asked me to go to his dorm to get patched up after what happened between you two. I can see that you don't need me around right now, so I'll just leave you to your solitude. I understand that you're still upset about what happened in the cafeteria. I'll see you around some other time," Verona said calmly.

Judith raised an eyebrow, noting Verona's lack of defense against her accusations.

So she didn't even deny it, Judith thought with a hint of satisfaction.

"Fine, go. Leave me alone. I don't need your presence right now. I hope I don't have to see you around the school too often over the next two years," Judith said dismissively.

Verona's expression turned slightly sour. "Can't you be a bit more polite?"

"No. Now go. Shoo. Leave me alone," Judith said, waving her hand dismissively.

Verona rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Fine. I was just trying to be a concerned sister. You didn't have to be so harsh." Verona turned her back on Judith and began to walk away. Judith watched her go, her emotions a mixture of irritation and relief.

Just as Verona was about to disappear from view, she paused and looked back over her shoulder.

"Oh, and thank you, Judith, for making things easier for me," Verona said cryptically before turning and continuing her departure.

Judith was left stunned by Verona's parting words.

Huh?

Making things easier for her? What does that mean?

What on earth is she talking about...

It took a few moments for Judith to fully process Verona's cryptic statement.

When it finally clicked, Judith chuckled to herself.

"Hah! I knew it! That girl is a fake, two-faced b*tch!" she exclaimed loudly. Luckily, the few students outside were too far away to hear her outburst.

Judith had been correct in her assessment—Verona was not as innocent as she pretended to be.