Chapter Two: There's More Than Meets The (Lavender) Eyes

After I had gotten home from the first visit with Lavender yesterday, I was in high spirits. My parents asked why I was coming home later than usual. I said I was with a friend. They asked that I’d call and let them know next time. I told them I would.

Now, I’m at school, a goofy grin on my face. I know what’s to come in just a few short hours. I make sure to arrive early to drop those notes in John and Jack’s lockers. I get away from their lockers and go to my first class.

“Early today, I see.” Mrs. Millard said.

She’s my English teacher. She’s always been my favorite teacher, she’s so nice and pretty fun to be around.

“Yep, it’s just one of those days, ya know?” I say, still smiling.

Mrs. Millard gives a small smile.

“You can feel today is gonna be a good day, huh?” she asked me.

“Yep!” I say, before taking a seat at a random desk towards the middle of the classroom.

Kids are filing in before long enough, and soon enough, the class is full.

“Okay, everyone, it’s time for a roll call!” Mrs. Millard said.

“Janie Akron.” Mrs. Millard began.

After about two minutes, she gets to me.

“Artie Ray.” she said.

“Present!” I say enthusiastically.

After two classes, it’s my lunch period. I ran into our two familiar fellows.

“Thought you could give us the slip yesterday. No woods for you to burrow into now.” said John and Jack grabbed ahold of my black hoodie.

I maintain my grin.

“Think you’re gonna smile? You think this is funny?” Jack said, whipping me around aggressively to face him.

“A little bit.” I say, gaining a bit of courage.

John also grabs my hoodie and they both slam me into the locker.

“So you’re getting smart with us now, huh? How badly do you want to keep most of your teeth?” Jack said, sneering.

“While I care about the wellbeing of my teeth, and quite frankly, the rest of my body too, I still find the situation quite amusing.” I say.

“What did you say, punk?” John asked aggressively.

I realize they didn’t understand some of the vocabulary I used.

“To simplify, while I do care about my teeth, I still find this funny.” I explained.

Another slam.

“Boys, get off him!” I hear Principal Rupbert say.

They get off me with sneers and we all go different directions. I see them looking at papers that I can only assume are Lavender’s notes due to the size of the paper.

One thing that made me happy is that they really think it’s their friend that wrote it and I hear them mumbling about the gold pit that their friend “found”. They are so gullible. Lavender is smart.

One thing that scared me at first is that they talked to the friend that this note was supposedly from and he was so confused, but their knucklehead selves thought he wasn’t talking because they were in a public place and he didn’t want people to know about the millions of dollars of gold he found.