Chapter 1: The Slave

At the creak of the carriage wheels, Hadriana's back pressed against the stone column. Leaning forward, her bronze tag tapped against her neck. The large carriage tilted and swayed while two large stallons pulled it further down the estate. Another one? The horses slowed to a stop. So soon?

With a quick survey of the house, the driver leapt off the carriage with a pained grunt. Yelling burst from the wooden doors. The woman had to be at least twenty seasons old. Dark hair, dusty and lifeless, fell down her knees while soiled sheepskin draped her sun-kissed skin. Sunlight reflected off a slave tag.

Hadriana moved forward as the woman's words split through the silence. Suddenly, with a hurl, a giant wad of spit smacked the driver in the face. The smack that followed echoed throughout the whole courtyard.

"You wretched beast!" Hands grabbed her hair. "Do that again!" He snarled. "Do it again!" Hadriana bit her lip. Cobblestone pressed into her hands. If I don't stop him, Calvus will kill her. She turned away.

Deep in the office, hunched over a dark wood deest was her master. Sharp eyes glanced up at her. "This better be good."

Hadriana lowered her head. "Master." She didn't dare look into hostile eyes. "Calvus has returned with a new slave for the estate." At the returning scratches, she dared to speak again. "He is being a little rough with her, sir."

A pause. "This regards me how?"

Her knees buckled. Her head pressed against the ground in a sign of respect. "I fear she won't be much use to the estate if she is damaged." She didn't dare glance up at the chair's creak. The footsteps echoed until she could see the master's feet before her. After a minute of silence, a hand grabbed her chin.

"Very well." His gaze met hers. "Be quick in preparing a new place for her." Hadriana suppressed a shudder as his thumb brushed her lips. She didn't dare pull away. She didn't need to get punished as well. His gaze roamed over her a few seconds longer before, without another word, he straightened and left the room.

A sigh left her lips. That's all I can do for now. Straightening, she made her way back toward the front.

"I'm just teaching this one some manners." Calvus's hold on the woman's arm tightened. "She's feistier than the usual ones."

"Then she'll learn like the other ones." Her master waved his hand. "Let her go." For a second, Calvus' grip tightened even more. With a snarl, he threw her to the ground. "Stupid slave." Hadriana grimaced at the contact before she nearly stepped forward. Instead, her head turned away.

"Hadriana." He gestured to the new slave.

She moved toward the glaring woman. "Follow me." The woman's head tilted. Not wanting to stay any longer than necessary, Hadriana walked away. Thankfully, the woman was smart enough to know that she shouldn't stay behind. Once they were a good distance away, Hadriana finally spoke again. "You shouldn't have spat in his face."

Those golden eyes widened. "You speak Catalan?"

Hadriana hummed. "You're lucky the master is in a good mood." She glared at the new slave. "He would have no problem letting Calvus teach you a lesson. From now on, it would be best to do what you're told without a fight." At her wrinkled nose, Hadriana stopped. "Whether you like it or not, you're a slave now. You're the master's property and nothing more."

"I'm no one's property," she countered.

That's what they all say. Hadriana let her gaze wander toward the fields. Chained slaves moved down the fields with swinging scythes in a constant rhythm. Ragged fabric clung to their skeletons while the sun continued to beam down on them. Hadriana turned away when one dropped to the ground. A whip cracked in the distance.