Chapter 16-the club

Start from the beginning

The door makes a loud noise when Brenda pushes it open with both her hands. No lock.

Inside it's dark. We still have a flashlight. I take it out of my jacket and turn it on.

Brenda hesitates so Thomas steps in front of her and disappears through the opening. I hurry up and go after him.

It's cold in here. And the air is dusty as hell.

I shine over the walls and the ceiling with my flashlight. When it lands on the floor I jump a little. There are things laying all over the ground.

We are clearly not the first people to be in here.

I see Thomas going through the several shelves in what looks like the kitchen. He knees on the ground when he makes a surprised face.

I follow his gaze and see plastic bags with a print I can't read. It looks like food. Maybe chips.

Beside Thomas there are more shelves. Behind them is a small chair for children. It's light blue but covered with dirt. There is a sheet of paper laying on the ground next to it.

I take it and turn it around to see a drawing. It looks like a child drew it. I shiver at the thought of that.

Quickly I put the drawing back on the ground and look through the shelves.

This could have been me.

I draw too. I had a family. This could be my old home.

Of course I know how stupid that is. Why would this of all the houses in the world be my old house?

I don't notice that I'm crying until a tear drops on my hand.

What is wrong with me recently? It feels like I can't control my emotions.

Get a fucking grip. I don't have time for this. This is about surviving. I have to concentrate on finding something to eat.

-

When we step out of the door, we have two bags full of food. We found lots of supplies in the basement. Luckily we didn't see any cranks.

But I did see a few things I wish I could forget. Like the pictures of the family that lived there.

They all looked so happy and now they're probably dead.

"I say we should go to the mountains." Brenda announces.

Thomas and I share a quick glance. We both don't like the idea of going without our friends and siblings.

"Can't we try to find the others first?" I plead.

Thomas nods at what I said and looks at Brenda expecting.

She knows this place better than we do. If she says we can't stay here than we'll probably listen to her.

"They could be anywhere by now. The chance of finding them is very low." It's not a no.

"But we can try." I say.

It takes her a few seconds to answer. Then she looks from me to Thomas and nods.

"Fine. But if we don't find them today than we are going into the direction of the mountains."

Thomas and I agree with her.

It's better than nothing. Maybe we'll find them.

Brenda guides us through the city for the next half an hour.

The sun isn't as bright as it was yesterday. It's still way to warm.

I take a scarf we found in the abandoned house and wrap it around my head to shield it from the sun.