Ch. XV ✡Better To Hope Then Despair✡

ابدأ من البداية

You understand such a feeling quite well. When having someone you love since the moment you took your first breath...being taken from you. Not by someone else's force...but by their own decision. Out of selfishness, or out of security for you, you cannot say for certain. Though you believe it was both reasons.

With a soft sigh, you take a knee, raising two fingers to gently grasp his small twig arm. Your way of giving comfort in a moment where comfort is needed most.

"I understand the pain of losing someone you love..." you whisper, "though for me, I suppose it's a little different"--you refer to your absent mother--"and as much as I would like to say I'm sorry a hundred more times, I realize that for some situations...saying sorry isn't enough. That for some moments like these, it would feel as if nothing would be enough to fix it."

Instinct has you bring a hand to your neck, only to touch the softness of your skin, and not the diamond necklace that once was your mother's jewelry piece. Upon caressing your skin where your diamond necklace used to hang, you can't help but flinch, inhaling a shuddering breath.

In the midst of the fight against Adam...your necklace had somehow broke free from your neck, falling somewhere, only to be buried under the rubble of the old hotel. Never to be seen again. The only piece of your mother...gone.

Exhaling, you continue, upon realizing that you've caught the attention of Frank. His black colored eyes staring at you with a saddened curiosity.

"I don't have the power to bring him back, as much as I wish I did," you say, as if you just read Frank's thoughts, "but I do have the facts that everyone--Charlie, Angel, Vaggie, and me mostly--are still here, and we won't leave you alone. Pentious and your fellow eggs may be gone...but not from here."

You touch the center of his shell, aiming at his heart. If eggs have hearts, you don't particularly know. But no matter. What matters most is Frank being able to grasp your words and being able to find some solace upon hearing them.

"I understand that Pentious was your boss, correct?" you stand up, placing both hands on your hips. "So, what if I became your boss?" smiling softly, you bow. "T'would be the greatest honor, if thou accepted my proposal."

In other words, you're asking Frank to be your friend. Though...for his better understanding, you say the word boss instead of friend. That way, Frank could feel like he has a purpose once more, and that by using the word boss, it would help with familiarity of how Sir Pentious would treat his egg minions.

Making a sound of joyful approval--for the first time in hours--Frank jumps up, saluting. "Ooh! Yes boss!"

"All right," you chuckle, pleased to see you made the egg creature happy, before passing him a hammer. "Your first assignment, take this to dear old Husker, would you?"

With a little nudge of your arm to his back, Frank begins to run forward, a pep in his step while he holds the hammer up in the air, happily searching for Husker's whereabouts in the mass pile of rubble and debris that once was the Hazbin Hotel.

Casting one last look towards Pentious's grave, you nod your head in respect once again, and take your leave to continue on with your assigned job of cleaning any rubble that stands in the way of fresh foundation.

Alastor, who stands in the middle of the working crowd of the others, simply hums under his breath, watching those work tirelessly to rebuild the new hotel, all the while he doesn't lift a finger. As if such duties were beneath him.