Chapter 40: Ashen Meets the Guardians

Jef was waiting alone in the living room while the guardians, including Jack Frost and you, were talking to the Nightmare King's daughter. Your son have been thinking about what Ashen had said lately. About the name and everything. Suddenly, Jef realized that she mentioned his name. Jef Wynter, and didn't know how she knew that.

"I have to clear my head…" he whispered and took a stroll around the place. As usual, the yetis are busy making toys and presents for boy and girls around the globe. Jef grinned as he observed them and the annoying little elves.

The winter spirit's son took out his flute and stared at it. He tried to see his last name but he can't. It was still blur. He groaned and put it back in his shirt.

He now has doubts about his name. Jef Wynter Frost. The dream he had last night was not the first. It was always the same dream but he didn't tell you that.

"Should I ask her?" he told himself and shook the feeling away.

Jef left and passed by a room. He heard voices and Ashen talking. The young boy checked the place before listening through the door.

Bunnymund fixed his green eyes on Pitch's daughter, like what he did when he first saw you. The ranger still doesn't trust the girl. The Sandman circled Ashen and looked at her from head to foot. Sandy rubbed his chubby chin and with his eyes squinted.

You giggled when the young girl ran and hid behind you. North uttered a loud, jolly laugh and gazed at the girl.

"So… this is Pitch's daughter huh?" he said with a strong Russian accent. "There's a resemblance…especially the eyes."

"I can see that." you responded. "What are you guys going to do with her? She told you everything."

"Are we sure that her story is true?" asked the Easter Bunny and Jack Frost rolled his eyes. "And by the way… what's frost bite doing here?"

"Don't blame me Easter Kangaroo. Jef asked me to come. What do you want me to do?" said the winter spirit and gave out a mischievous smile.

"Easter Kangaroo?" whispered Ashen and you laughed.

"Jack Frost always calls him that." I murmured back and winked at the adorable girl.

"No… he really is an Easter Kangaroo. I mean look at him!" added Jack and pointed at Bunnymund, "Where can you see a bunny like that? Seven feet tall with big feet and long fluffy ears! Not to mention that he can talk." Mocked the young guardian and everyone laughed except, of course, the bunny ranger.

"Let's get serious now." You said that made everyone look at you. "Do you think MiM did really revived Ashen?"

"What if his… dad… taught her to say something like that? What do you think MiM was thinking? Revive Pitch's daughter so that they can form an alliance and then-"

"I just want my father back." Interjected the young girl and loosened something around her 's a locket. The same locket that you saw when Pitch cursed your gloves, or should I say when he will curse your gloves.

Ashen opened it and we all saw two pictures. A woman and a man. "This is my mother and this is my dad." Said the young girl and frowned, "My mother died when I'm still young and dad… he… vanished… and I didn't see him since."

"Wait… how can you remember all of this if-" Jack Frost said and the Nightmare King's daughter gazed at him.

"MiM gave me a few of my memories. He didn't tell me why he brought me to life but he said that all of you can help me. He explained everything why my dad became… Pitch and I don't like it. I want my true dad back."

You looked at each other and the man in the red suit walked towards the girl. I stood aside and grinned at Ashen signing that everything will be fine.

"Child… do you know why your dad hates us?" asked North and the girl shook his head.

"Because of jealousy… children love us. They surely know me, Santa Clause, the Sandaman, the Tooth fairy and the Easter-"

"Kangaroo…" Jack interfered and you shot him a furious stare.

"As I was saying…" said North and smiled at Ashen, "Pitch is everything a child fears, and he thrives on the fear of children, taking a cruel delight in turning their pleasant dreams into nightmares. But what Pitch hates is when children overcome their fears and don't believe in him, particularly when parents tell their kids that the boogeyman is just a bad dream. "

"He is not like that… when he was my dad. I want him to change… only If I can talk to him." Ashen said and everyone went silent.

"I don't know about that." You said and the girl looked at you. "Ashen w- what if he took you and put a spell on you? He can control anyone Ashen… Even you. You're his daughter and he will never let you be friends with the guardians."

"Snowflake is right…" a voice said and you saw your son before the door. He closed it and walked to his friend.

"I'm sorry but… you can't trust your dad. He is not the one you knew before. He is more cunning and his plan is full of tricks. Believe me Ashen…" said Jef and held the girl's hands.

"I know it's a risk…" whispered the girl. "But what should I do? Don't you think it's better if he just… I don't know… stop?"

"We tried to negotiate with him once…" said North saidly and added, "He never listens."

"Ma- maybe… he will listen to Ashen." Suggested Jef and you looked at him in surprise.

"I don't get you. Who's side are you on?" you asked and your son glared.

"I don't know! I mean… Ashen might be right and you guys have a point…" said Jef and you sighed deeply. "It's better if everyone has happily ever after right? Pitch getting his daughter back being good and all?"

"So you're saying that he will turn good if he got Ashen? What if he will use his own daughter against us?" you blurted and the young girl gasped and stared at Jef.

"Sh- She's lying right? He's not that bad right?" asked the girl while shaking your son.

"N-no Ashen… Pitch can… do that." Stammered Jef and the young girl gazed at her locket.

"I- I want to talk to him, Jef. Please… I want him to stop." Pleaded Asen and Jef fixed his eyes on you.

"The- they'll think about it." Said Jef and let out a reluctant smile. "It's for your own good."