Chapter 22: Lovers to Strangers

The winter spirit flew back to the forest to search for the girl Jef's was talking about. He stood in the air and observed but can't see clearly from above. He sighed deeply and kept searching.

"What does a girl and a young boy doing here in the forest?" he scolded and swooped down. He loosely brandished his staff here and there while checking around the place. Suddenly he heard someone rasping about something not far from where he was standing.

He slowly walked through the forests and followed the sound. It's echoing around the place and Jack gingerly hid from tree to tree and finally perched on a high branch of a pine tree.

His eyes widened when he saw an angel walking alone while talking muttering to herself. Jack flew swiftly and took a better look on the angel. Without a warning, he accidentally bumped into a tree branch and abruptly hid somewhere. Luckily, you didn't hear the winter spirit.

"Wait…" whispered Jack and squinted, "that's Jef's dagger…"

While kicking the white snow furiously, you looked both of your sides gazed at a distance.

"Where is Jef!" you shouted madly and swung your weapons. "Where the hell did that kid go?" you added and kept hitting anything that was blocking your path.

After after a few minutes, you hid your weapons and sat on a rock. You rested your face in the palm of your hands and breathed deeply.

"If you're only here…" you whispered.

When you looked up you noticed that snow started to fall. You firmly closed your eyes and breathed in the air of winter. You grinned and suddenly you felt dizzy.

You shook that feeling away and stood up. "I- I should… search for… Jef…" you said sounded tired.

At first look, you thought that it's just a hallucination, but it's not. The white snow you saw earlier was now gold. You looked up and noticed that the golden dust falls on you, nowhere else but where you were standing on.

You started to feel woozy and your head befuddled. You tried to walk but you kept falling. You grabbed a tree trunk an breathed heavily. "Wha- what's going on?" you thought.

You stood up and without noticing, you're about to fall back when someone grabbed your shoulders. You felt the person's frigid hand and you know who it was. You tried to turn but your sight became blurred.

You felt his arms under your knees and lifted you up. He stared at you for a while with his stern face and when he noticed you're still half awake, he sprinkled some gold dust in front of your face.

"That will put her to sleep…" whispered Jack and gazed at you attentively.

Jack walked onward while staring at you. He looked at your sleeping and and felt like he'd seen you before. "Nah… that's impossible… I have never seen her in my life…" And with that, Jack flew away back to the city.

The winter spirit's son was waiting at the top of an old building. How did he get there? The building he entered was the orphanage he knew from his present. Jef was tossing a rock at the wall and caught it afterwards and threw it again.

"He'll be back alright… just don't know when!" he scolded and threw the rock out of the building. Suddenly, he heard a furious grown man yelling and he realized that he just hit a window. Hiding behind a box, he saw a shadow passed by.

He grinned excitedly and looked up. "Jack!" he yelled blissfully and waved. "Wait… is that… (F/n)?" he added.

Jack landed and put you down gently on the ground. Jef ran to you and tried to wake you up and you wouldn't.

"I told you to bring her not put her to sleep!" yelled his son madly.

"Wha- you didn't tell me that she's a girl ANGEL! And I can't just appear in front of her while she's holding two deadly weapons. She scares me…" Jack said and scratched his head upon saying his last sentence.

Jef laughed out loud and pointed at his witty young dad. "You? Scared of a girl?" he said playfully and continued chuckling.

"Sh- she's no-"

"You're scared of a girl!" interrupted Jef and the winter spirit started to blush.

"I am no-"

"Jack Frost! Jack Frost! Scared of a girl!" interjected Jef and ran around when Jack chased him.

"Stop or I'll freeze you!" shouted the young guardian and Jef didn't listen. "Jef!" yelled Jack, "Why are you so hardheaded!" he added.

Suddenly when Jef saw you repositioned yourself, he stopped and walked towards you.

"Argh… my head…" you muttered while touching your dizzy, heavy head. "What happened?"

"I asked Jack Frost to find you." Responded Jef and gave you a tight hug.

Your eyes widened upon hearing the winter spirit's name. You abruptly stood up and lost your balance after. Fortunately, the young guardian caught your back and said, "Woah… slow down."

"Ja- Jack?" you stammered and gazed at the white haired teen boy behind you.

"Yup!" he replied cheerfully and chuckled. "Jack Frost."

You noticed that he doesn't remember you and Jef was about to tell your name when you interrupted. You grasped the boy's shirt and dragged him away from Jack.

"Don't tell him my name." you whispered.

"Wh- why?" asked the boy curiously. "He has to-"

"No…" you said and added, "He must not know. He must remember." You explained and suddenly a head popped between you and your son.

"And why are you guys leaving me behind?" asked the winter spirit. "I have a lot of questions for you two…" he added with a weird grin. "Especially you."

You glanced at Jef and he abruptly shrugged his shoulders at you. "Can I talk to her?" asked Jack and Jef didn't hesitate to nod.

When Jef left the roof, the winter spirit's joyful face became serious. Lots of voices came into your mind like "What should I tell him? He must not know my name. What if he asked me where I came from? What! What! What!"

"Now… I don't know why you know me but it's kinda funny that I don't know you. It looks to me that you're not ordinary… LIKE me.." he started and slowly circled you, "This is the first time I saw you… and I've been around for about 300 years. The only people I know is the big four. I suppose you know them?"

You nodded without saying anything and without glimpsing at him. You put your head down and breathed deeply. You can feel his lips close to your ear and he whispered,

"Who are you?"