Chapter 21: Warm Heart

The moon was high up and the place was still calm as the wind. You've been searching for your son but couldn't find him anywhere. The forest was just too big and he could've walked around the place. You observed every corner and every tree but still no sign of Jef.

"Where did he go?" you rasped and cut one of the tree's thick branches. "He's a half-human boy… and there's a lot of deadly creatures out here." You added.

Suddenly, you noticed something from the bushes. You walked towards it and wallowed down as you touched the footprints resting in the snow.

"This might be Jef's…" you thought, "It's the same size as his." You added and looked afar.

You noticed another footprint followed by another one and another one. You harshly followed it and accidentally put your guard down. You stopped and saw a few dog-like footprints and pine acorns on the ground. You inspected the place and looked up. You saw something odd up there and you followed it.

A small red and golden dagger was stabbed on the tree trunk. You pulled it out and touched the dagger's blade.

"He must've climbed up here to avoid those wild dogs." You whispered and took a glimpse around. "But where is he?" you thought.

Jef and Jack arrived in the city and his son saw the bustling people of the crowded place. He can hear the vehicles' loud sounds and honks, people laughing, teenagers talking and children playing. He missed the place he once lived in and wished that all things will come back to normal as soon as possible.

Then he noticed that this was the place the town he's living in. He didn't expect it to be this way but he recognized some of the shops and street names.

"Hold on kiddo, I'm gonna put you down somewhere where no one can see you." Said the winter spirit.

Jef clung on Jack's shoulders and they swooped down. The young guardian landed both of them gently and stretched afterwards.

"So will you be alright on your own?" he asked and gazed at the young boy while he's leaning on his magical staff.

"Yeah, yeah…" said Jef full of doubts. He tapped his pocket and put his hands in. "Lucky!" exclaimed the boy, "For the first time I'm glad that Josh (the 12 year old bully) tried to steal my money yest… yesterday?"

Before Jef got into this situation, Josh tried to steal money from the young boy when the bully got embarrassed by him. Josh would pretend that he's Jef's friend to be able to get into his room. Fortunately, your smart son hid it in his other jacket, that was resting in his cabinet, and acted that he has no money left.

"Three hundred dollars… I think this will last about a week…" he murmured and put his money back in his pocket.

"Ok… I'll be back I promise." Said the winter spirit and brushed the boy's brown hair. "I'll find this girl you're talking about." He added and flew hurriedly.

"Jack!" yelled the kid but he's already gone. "She's not… really a… girl…" whispered the boy and added, "Nah… he'll figure it out…. Maybe…"

Jef started to take a stroll around the city and named all of the shops and other places he recognized. He put his hands in his pocket and searched for something to eat. Surprisingly, he saw a burger stand, the same stand that he used to go to.

"Nice…" he said and uttered a light chuckle.

Jef crossed the street and took out some of his money from his pocket. "Hey George!" he said blissfully and the seller glanced at him with his surprised eyes. "Oh… wait… I'm at the past… that means…" he whispered and started to count with his hands. "I'm not born yet! Maybe this was George's great grandfather or something…"