Devon placed a hand on Charlie's arm and looked at him cautiously.

"Charlie, Mom," he quickly glanced at his mother behind them, "Edward and I are together now. When I left home... I left with Edward," he explained calmly. He wasn't sure how they would take it.

Charlie was genuinely surprised. Of all things, he didn't expect those words from Devon.

"Oh..." he finally said, coming back to reality, "I... I don't know what to say. I'm happy for you, but..."

"I know I hurt Bella a lot," Edward interrupted, having already read both their thoughts, "and I apologize profusely. It was never my intention to harm her, and I know that maybe it's something I can't fix now with a simple apology, but I want you to know that I care a lot about Devon. He's truly important and special to me, and I hope you can accept me back into your family."

Amy smiled tenderly, but Charlie still had a furrowed brow, lost in his thoughts.

"Weren't you with his brother?" he asked Devon, but his frown deepened, regretting his words, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. That's not what I meant. I'm just a little confused."

Devon laughed with genuine amusement.

"It's okay, Charlie," he took a few steps back, tucking his hands into his jacket pockets, "how's Bella?"

Charlie relaxed noticeably and let out a sigh.

"She's better. She's hanging out with Jacob, Billy Black's son, and it seems like everything is going well," he cast a quick glance at Edward, "Jacob has been really good for her and has helped her a lot since... well... he's helped her a lot."

Edward felt even more guilty realizing how much he had made Bella suffer, but deep down, he knew it wasn't entirely his fault. Probably most of it, but not entirely.

"It's good to know that," he said.

Charlie sighed again, placing a hand on Devon's shoulder.

"Son, I really want you to be happy, and if your happiness is with... him... that's okay. I accept it, but give me some time for the anger I have to fade."

Devon didn't hesitate to hug Charlie tightly.

"Thank you, Charlie," he spoke in a low voice, just enough for him to hear.

When they separated, Devon looked at Edward with a smile and approached him.

"Well, I hope you guys stay to finish the school year," Amy commented, "you only have half a semester left before going to college."

Edward nodded.

"Yes. Carlisle already helped us arrange that, and they'll accept us back as long as we submit the overdue assignments and take some exams."

"Perfect. Why don't you make yourselves comfortable while I prepare a delicious dessert and something for dinner?"

"We would like that, Mom. Thank you."

Amy approached her son, taking his cheeks in her hands and giving him a kiss on the forehead.

Charlie now seemed a bit uncomfortable.

"Do you want to watch the game?"

Devon nodded.

"Why not?" They took a seat, "who's playing?"

The three men remained in the living room watching TV, although Charlie and Devon were having a pleasant conversation about the game while Edward simply waited for time to pass, as he wasn't very interested in sports.