The call ended, and both boys looked at each other with relief. It seemed everything was okay with Bella, and there was nothing to worry about. However, what really intrigued them was the fact that Bella was mentioned to have a "boyfriend." Devon didn't think she would have another boyfriend for a long time, but he felt genuinely happy to know that Isabella now had someone else in her life.

"Maybe we should head to Forks tomorrow morning," Edward said. "Surely, Alice will go in search of Bella—she sounded irritated— as if she didn't know her. Besides, I'd like to see with my own eyes that Bella is safe."

Devon nodded. "Yes, I'd like to go back too."

That night, they started packing their things to leave at dawn. Devon thanked the Denalis for welcoming him warmly and promised to visit them sometime in the future. In turn, the Denalis wished them a safe journey and expressed hope to see them again.

"Let me know if you have any news about Ronan," Eleazar told Edward before he got into his truck.

Edward nodded. "You know we don't talk much, but I'll tell him to get in touch if I see him."

Eleazar nodded and hugged his wife as they waved goodbye when Edward drove away.

The trip was silent and somewhat tense, although Devon wasn't sure why. He had a feeling Edward was in a hurry to see Bella, and he wasn't sure if he liked that. He understood the concern, but it seemed like Edward was overly eager to get there.

"Are you really worried about Bella?" Devon asked. Edward glanced at him quickly, but Devon wasn't looking at him.

"I think so," he frowned slightly. "I admit I feel guilty. I had a great time with you these months, and she probably wasn't doing well for a while."

Devon nodded in understanding. Before he could say anything, his phone rang. It seemed strange that Alice was calling him.

"Hello?" Edward paid attention to the call.

"Devon," Alice's voice sounded concerned, "I'm sorry; I wasn't sure if I should call you, Edward, or the Denalis."

"Alice, calm down. What's going on?"

For a moment, the line was silent.

"It's Ronan," she finally said. "I had a vision. They're going to kill him. Apparently, he was part of the Volturi and tried to separate from them, but they wouldn't allow it and told him the only way to... leave... was by dying. I thought you should know."

The car stopped. Devon felt dizzy for a moment. What should he do? He couldn't let him die. And Edward either. Even if he didn't like his brother much, he was still his brother, and he couldn't bear the thought of him being dead.

Edward took the phone from Devon and

placed it against his ear.

"Let's go to Volterra. Tell the others," he said before hanging up.

Devon looked at him without understanding.

"Volterra?"

"In Italy," he accelerated as much as possible, "I'm not sure why they want to kill him since Ronan is an excellent tracker, but they must have their reasons. We need to get there before it happens."

"Do you...?" Devon began, but Edward interrupted.

"He probably already knows we're here. Like I said, he's very sensitive to scents," he glanced at Devon, "probably, you were the first one he sniffed."

No one said anything for a while until they almost reached their destination. There were many people in some kind of parade, all wearing red robes.

Devon didn't even think when he got out of the car in a hurry, but it didn't take long for him to realize he had no idea where to go. However, in a second, Edward was by his side with a small smile, indicating which way they had to go.