"Pleasure, Devon," Eleazar was the first to speak, "it's true that Carlisle has talked a lot about you," he approached him and looked at him with a furrowed brow, "you have a quite unusual gift."

Devon wasn't sure what to say, so he looked at Edward for an answer.

"Eleazar can sense the powers of vampires and how strong they are," he explained. He wished Ronan or he had told him that before.

"Oh, I see," he smiled a bit, "I really don't know what my gift is."

Eleazar glanced quickly at Edward but smiled at Devon.

"Why don't we go inside? We prepared a couple of rooms for you to stay as long as you want," they started walking into the house, "by the way, how's your brother, Edward? We haven't heard from him in several years."

Edward stopped halfway through the entrance and gave a quick glance to Devon.

"What do you mean you haven't heard from him for years?" he frowned.

Eleazar looked at him without understanding, but Carmen was the one who answered.

"Ronan left home three years ago; the Volturi contacted him because they needed a tracker, and it seems he joined them since then. He said he would tell them."

Edward could read everyone's minds but didn't understand what was happening.

"Ronan... he... is with the Volturi?"

The Denalis looked worried.

"I'm sorry, Edward. I thought you knew."

He shook his head.

"Before we left Forks, he went home, but he didn't mention anything about it. I even remember Carlisle saying he had talked to you," he referred to Eleazar, "to let him know that Ronan would stay with us for a while."

Eleazar shook his head.

"Well, I never had that conversation with Carlisle. And I didn't tell you anything because Ronan explicitly asked me not to. He knew you wouldn't agree with it, but he wanted to be the one to tell you."

"I'm sorry," Devon interrupted, "but I'm not understanding what's going on. Who are the Volturi, and why does Edward seem upset that his brother joined them?"

They settled in the living room.

"The Volturi are the largest and most powerful vampire coven. They enforce the laws of the vampire world. Normally, they don't interfere in the affairs of other vampires, but they're not the best people," Eleazar explained, "I dare say they're afraid of Carlisle and his clan. They're afraid they might end them, although we know that's not Carlisle's interest."

"I had no idea Ronan joined them," Edward muttered, his mind wandering, "I suppose they sent him to spy on us. I really have no other explanation for why he could have come back, but since we all left, he had to come back to them."

"Do you really think they sent your brother to spy on us?" Kate asked this time, sounding concerned.

"I guess so. After all, we had no idea he joined them, and it was easier for him to inform them about us that way. The last time we saw him, he hasn't contacted anyone," he looked at Devon, "or has he?"

Devon shook his head.

"I really haven't tried to contact him since the last time I saw him."

"Well, let's not blame Ronan for anything. It was his decision to join them, but once inside, it's hard to refuse Aro's orders, you know that, Edward."

Edward nodded and tried to stop thinking about it. He would have to talk to his family to tell them about this, but he would worry about that later. Right now, he was much more curious about Eleazar's words about Devon's gift. He had a vague idea, but Eleazar was the expert on that.

"You're right," he said simply, "anyway, I'm still curious about Devon's gift."

Eleazar smiled a bit.

"Oh, yes. Well... I could say it's something like an eraser. He can suppress the power of other vampires by just touching them; it's quite powerful. Besides Devon, I had only known one person with a similar power."

Devon looked at him without fully understanding.

"An eraser?"

"Yes. I think that's the best way to explain it," he stood up and approached Devon and Edward, "right now, Edward can read my thoughts, in general, everyone in this

room. But if you touch him, it will stop. It will just be silent, right, Edward?"

Cullen nodded.

"Yes. I had noticed it before, but I didn't know it worked that way."

"Does it work with my power?" Kate asked this time with a quite mischievous smile.

Eleazar showed a small smile.

"I guess so. But I wouldn't know with great certainty what kind of ability it can suppress or not."

The woman approached them, Devon stood up not knowing what was happening, but she took his hand and looked at him not knowing what to expect. Kate seemed to be the most confused of the two.

"I don't even feel the power flowing," she commented, "give me your hand, Edward."

Edward looked at her without wanting to get closer, but in the end, he also took her hand, but nothing happened. It was as if their powers had disappeared out of nowhere.

"Kate can release strong electric shocks," Carmen explained calmly, "does it work with powers that are at a long distance?"

Eleazar thought about it for a moment.

"I guess not. It seems that Devon has to touch the person to nullify the power. Still, it's a very peculiar gift; it's like a shield, but instead of repelling, you eliminate it."

Devon looked at his hands. He understood what he meant now, but no one had told him he could do that. Neither Ronan nor Edward, although both always seemed to want to touch him.

They kept talking for a while longer. Later, Edward and Devon went for the boxes they had brought, and finally, at bedtime, they weren't sure if they should go to the same room to sleep together or go to different ones.

However, it was Edward who took Devon's hand and led him to one of the rooms. After changing into lighter clothes, they settled on the bed and fell asleep side by side.

 After changing into lighter clothes, they settled on the bed and fell asleep side by side