Margo gave a friendly smile to the stranger, "Nice to meet you, Edward. I hope my Devon isn't causing you trouble."

Edward also smiled politely, "Not at all," he spoke with some cordiality, but he gave Devon a brief smile before turning to look at the beautiful house.

"A gap year? Why?" They reached the kitchen, where Edward and Devon took seats on the island stools, and Margo went to the refrigerator to take a pitcher of water she had prepared earlier. She poured a glass for herself and a couple more for her guests.

Devon took a sip of water before answering, "Well, for many reasons. I just wanted to leave everything behind for a moment. After Eugene... I feel guilty. Besides, I feel like I haven't fully adapted to my new home. I wanted a bit of freedom. To mess things up now and regret leaving school later," he laughed, and Margo smiled a bit while looking at him.

"But you're not leaving it completely, right? It's good to take a break. Sometimes a college degree isn't everything in life. Of course, it gives you many opportunities, but there are many other things you can take advantage of. I'll always support you, Devon."

"Thank you, Margo."

There was a short moment of silence. Margo sighed and turned around to check something cooking in the oven.

"I took the opportunity to water the plants because the kids are asleep. They have so much energy that I end up more exhausted than them."

Devon smiled, but his smile didn't last long.

"Margo, please tell me what happened."

The woman was facing away, staring at the wall in front of her, and tears began to accumulate in her eyes. She avoided sobbing, but neither of the two men present missed the small sound.

Margo turned around while wiping her eyes.

"I shouldn't have exploded like that, Devon. I'm really sorry for breaking down like that."

Devon shook his head.

"Don't apologize, Margo. But please, tell me what's going on."

She thought for a moment before shrugging.

"I'm just not sure. Your father started getting into the world of gambling since you left, and with that, he started drinking more. He's lost more money than he makes, and you know it's a lot. I asked him to stop. He won't let me work, demands that I stay home to take care of the kids and handle all the household chores. But if he keeps it up, he'll ruin us. A couple of nights ago, he came home really drunk, and I tried to talk to him, ask him to stop, but he got angry. We started arguing, and he resorted to hitting me. It's not the first time, but I was terrified because he wouldn't stop hitting my face."

Devon furrowed his brow.

"How long has he been hitting you?"

She smiled sadly and touched Devon's cheek, but didn't mention anything about it feeling cold.

"When I met your father, he was the best man in the world, always so attentive and chivalrous. He won me over, and foolishly, I accepted to be his wife. It wasn't long after we got married that I discovered his true face."

Devon tensed.

"And why didn't you leave him?"

Margo looked at him with... tenderness?

"Because I didn't want all his anger to be unleashed on you." Margo caressed Devon's cheek but didn't mention anything about it feeling cold. "You were just a child, Dev, and he didn't care about that. After I met you, I just couldn't leave you, and I was so relieved when he sent you to Forks. He always refused to let you go with your mother, and when he sent you away willingly... I didn't want you to ever come back to this horrible place."