"It's okay," his mother interrupted, surprising Devon. She had tears in her eyes, "I know I haven't been a good mother to you, dear, and I don't have the right to force you to do something you don't want to do," her voice broke, "but don't doubt that I will always support you unconditionally, whatever happens. And if you want to go, that's okay... we learn from everything."

Devon tried to smile but didn't quite succeed, and without thinking, he hugged his mother.

"Thank you, Mom," he whispered, "I promise I'll be fine. I'll call whenever I can."

They separated after a moment, and the woman wiped her face with the collar of her shirt.

"I don't have much money, but I can give you..."

"It's not necessary," Devon interrupted, "I already have everything I need."

Amy nodded, and the tears kept flowing.

"Okay, then. Will you say goodbye to Charlie?"

Devon thought about it for a moment. It was very strange, but he felt he had created a stronger bond with Charlie than with his own mother, and saying goodbye to Charlie hurt much more. He could never thank him enough, but at least he owed him that.

"Yes. I'll go see him when I leave here and then stop by home for my things."

Amy nodded with a smile.

"Don't forget that I love you, Devon. Whatever happens, I'll always be your mother, and I'll be waiting for your return whenever you're ready."

"Thank you, Mom."

Without more words, Devon left the store and got on his motorcycle to head to the police station. He hoped Charlie would be there.

Amy also left the store and watched her son as he walked away, tears streaming down her face. She loved him, but she was sure it was for the best. She wanted her son to be happy, and if he found happiness away from her, she could accept it.

Devon stopped this time in front of the police station

. It was a fairly small building, but there were several patrol cars outside. He tried not to think too much about things and quickly approached the place.

The guard at the entrance looked at him with a furrowed brow.

"Hello, I'm looking for Sheriff Swan."

He nodded.

"In his office, at the back."

"Thanks."

He took slow but firm steps as he approached. He didn't want to say goodbye to Charlie. It wasn't a goodbye forever... but still. Charlie was the father he always wished for, and it hurt a lot to let him go.

Once in front of the wooden door, he saw the nameplate with Charlie's name and knocked a couple of times softly.

"Come in," he heard from the other side.

Devon opened it. Charlie was writing something on some documents. He seemed quite busy.

The man finished writing something and looked at Devon, surprised by his sudden presence.

"Devon, shouldn't you be in school?" the named smiled a little at the exact words his mother used.

"I didn't go to class," he made a small grimace, "can we talk for a moment?"

Charlie seemed concerned, but still nodded.

"Of course, son. Have a seat."

Devon sat in front of the desk, looking down, trying to think of his words. Charlie looked at him expectantly but didn't want to pressure him.