"Bella... we can be happy this way. You don't need to be turned to be happy," he glanced at her quickly. They were about to arrive.

Bella rolled her eyes with annoyance.

"Then why did you turn Devon? He didn't even know about you."

Edward frowned with some irritation.

"You know why I did it," he spoke with a raised and annoyed voice, "Devon was dying."

Anger flooded Bella's veins. She hated that Edward cared so much about Devon and left her in the background. He was with her, not him.

"Well, maybe you should have let him die!" she shouted, and the car abruptly stopped.

A terrifying silence conquered the truck cabin as Edward looked at Bella, hoping she hadn't really said those words.

Then Bella realized what she said, but it was too late to take it back. The words had come out, and even if she apologized, nothing would be the same.

"I didn't...," she began with regret, "I didn't mean that."

"But you did," Edward's voice sounded colder than Bella had ever heard. She even felt a chill running down her spine, "you should put your thoughts in order."

Bella felt annoyed again and, without thinking, got out of the car, slamming the door behind her. Edward also stepped out of the car and watched her walk into her house without saying anything more. He hoped the girl would reflect on what she had said.

The next day, Devon woke up with Ronan hugging him like some kind of koala. He smiled a little as he checked the time, realizing it was quite early.

Ronan also woke up at that moment and looked at Devon with a smile.

"Hey," Ronan greeted, hugging Devon tighter.

Devon ran his fingers through Ronan's hair. It was like a little kitten.

"Hey," he greeted back.

Ronan got up and approached Devon to unite their lips in a soft and slow kiss. The perks of being dead were that there was no bad breath. They separated after a few seconds, and Ronan settled back into Devon's arms. Devon couldn't help but think Ronan was acting strangely.

"Is everything okay?" he dared to ask.

Ronan tensed for a moment, but then he relaxed and, without looking at Devon, nodded.

"Of course. Just... I like being with you like this."

Devon smiled, but he knew Ronan wasn't being sincere. However, he didn't want to press.

A couple of hours later, Devon left the house even though it was still quite early. He said goodbye to his mother, who had handed him his lunch, and to Charlie, who was halfway through his coffee cup. Bella hadn't shown up yet.

However, as soon as he left the house, he saw Ronan waiting by the motorcycle. He had a furrowed brow and seemed worried about something. He was looking at his phone, but as soon as he noticed Devon's presence, he put it in his pocket.

"We won't go to class today," Ronan told him, tossing him a helmet, "there's a family meeting."

Devon wasn't sure what was happening, but he put on the helmet.

"A family meeting?" he asked as he climbed onto the motorcycle behind Ronan and hugged him around the waist, "what do you mean?"

"With the Cullens. They want to talk about what happened with Bella yesterday, and it seems like certain decisions will be made that you should be a part of."