"Yeah, I can see that."

Bella settled into her seat.

"He seems to get along well with Devon. I think they would make a cute couple, don't you think?"

A low blow for Edward, who tensed up, and this time it was more complicated for him to relax.

"I don't really think so," he replied without looking at her, a slight frown on his face.

Bella furrowed her brow even more, showing her slight annoyance. She was completely unaware of what had been happening between Devon and Edward. They were supposed to be a happy couple.

"Why not?"

"It doesn't matter," Edward muttered.

And luckily, they had arrived at school. Edward got out of the car first, and as the gentleman he was, he went to open Bella's door and extended a hand to help her get out. Bella didn't like Edward doing that at all; she was perfectly capable of opening the door and getting out on her own. But this time, she preferred to accept the gesture willingly because she wanted to be close to her boyfriend.

The day went more or less normally for Edward. He didn't come across Ronan or Devon at any moment, but he was more concerned about it. He knew they were there because he could smell them, but his eyes couldn't see them anywhere. And he didn't want to go looking for them and find something he maybe shouldn't.

He was jealous. But he still hadn't accepted it.

It was lunchtime. Edward was sitting at a table with a face that scared anyone, but Bella approached him with her lunch tray and took a seat beside him. Isabella was not a talkative person, but now that she wanted Edward's attention and he seemed so oblivious to her existence, she started talking about what she saw in class and how boring it was because they were more advanced in her old school.

Edward looked at her and genuinely tried to pay attention. He was doing it at first; he heard every word she said, but things got out of control when he saw Devon entering, with Ronan embracing him by the neck. Both were laughing heartily.

He didn't worry too much since Eric was running towards them, excitedly talking about something related to the dance.

Ronan made eye contact with Edward. He knew perfectly well that his brother was upset, though the word "upset" wasn't enough. It was more like "furious."

But he took the opportunity and, without breaking eye contact, left a kiss on Devon's cheek. It was quick and almost casual, but it made Edward lose his mind. Why was that good-for-nothing idiot kissing Devon?

HIS DEVON.

A second. That wasn't right. Edward realized all the times he had the chance to get closer to Devon, but each time, he pushed him away. But Edward couldn't help but feel annoyed that Devon had only known Ronan for two days. How could they become so close in such a short time?

No one seemed to have noticed that kiss because Eric had just arrived, running and talking excitedly about the dance.

Ronan stopped looking at Edward when Devon looked at him with a furrowed brow. Edward heard clearly when Devon asked him why he had kissed him so suddenly.

He stopped watching them when he felt Bella's hand on his. He looked at her attentively; she seemed to be waiting for some kind of response to a question he definitely hadn't heard.

For his good luck, he didn't have to answer because the whole group approached their table with their respective lunch trays and sat around. Bella seemed very uncomfortable, but Edward was quite relieved to be able to keep an eye on his brother. Although it wouldn't be of much use.

"Bella, have you met Ronan? He's a very funny guy," Jessica said with a big smile. It was obvious she was more interested in Ronan than she showed.

"Oh, yes," Isabella commented calmly, "he came to my house this morning to leave with Devon."

All eyes turned to Devon. The two girls with a mischievous smile, and the guys with a slightly furrowed brow.

"Wow," Jessica continued to smile, despite being disappointed by Bella's words, "then Devon has no excuse not to go to the dance. Why don't you go together?"

Edward tensed up, but his

expression remained neutral as he listened to them talk. He saw Devon shaking his head with a small smile and looking down. If he were still human, he would undoubtedly be completely flushed.

"That's an excellent idea," Ronan said loudly and put his arm around Devon's shoulders to bring him closer, "we should go together, Dev. I've never been to a dance before, and I'm excited to go to one."

Edward knew he was lying, but he didn't say anything.

Devon looked at Ronan with more confidence; he first looked into his eyes and then for a millisecond looked at his lips.

"If you invite me properly, maybe I'll accept going with you."

The girls let out a scream of excitement. Ronan let go of Devon and settled into his seat, but he didn't stop looking at him or smiling.

"I'll do that."

"Do you know that Ronan and Edward are biological brothers?" Bella commented, not wanting to be left out of the conversation.

Edward almost killed her with his gaze. Maybe he should have told her earlier that he didn't want her to mention that part, although he was almost sure Ronan would do it at some point.

Everyone looked at Edward, who hadn't said a single word, and then looked at Ronan, who was smiling. They were really different in attitude.

"It's true that they have a great resemblance," Eric commented.

"Eddy is my younger brother by two years," Ronan said, taking a grape from Jessica's plate, "but due to some problems, I got delayed in school, and I ended up in the same year as my brother."

"Does that mean you should be in college right now?" Angela asked with genuine curiosity.

Ronan nodded and took another grape that he put in his mouth.

"That's right. I would like to study law."

Ronan started chatting with the others, but Edward's gaze remained solely on Devon, who also looked at him for a moment.

Edward had no idea what Devon was thinking at that moment, and that's when he realized something.

Since Devon had turned, he couldn't hear what was in his head. What was happening?

 What was happening?