"I understand. For a newborn, you're doing very well. But in case you start feeling... desperate, just go for a run and try to hunt some animal," he fell silent for a second, "you can also call me if you want to talk to someone."

Devon smiled a little and nodded.

"I don't hate you," he suddenly said, "in case you were wondering, I don't hate you. And I really appreciate you saving me."

Edward nodded, but his gaze reflected a certain sadness.

"Then I'll go."

Devon nodded once, and Edward disappeared quickly. He glanced out the window, where Alice waved goodbye, and Emmett gave a peace sign. He smiled at them as he bid farewell with a small hand gesture and finally watched them get into the car and drive away down the road.

Devon's smile vanished suddenly, and the first thing he did was lock his door and sit in a corner, hugging his knees and hiding his face between them. He wanted to cry, wanted to feel frustrated, wanted to feel his face wet and the warmth in his cheeks from the myriad of emotions flooding him at that moment. But there were no tears.

He felt everything, but it was as if his body wouldn't let him show it.

He stood up as anger and despair began to engulf him even more strongly and went out the window to run into the forest. Once he was far enough, he let out a loud scream from the depths of his chest and began to hit the tree trunks. He needed to release all that he felt somehow, and he couldn't find any other way.

He uprooted a couple of very leafy trees from the roots and threw them as far as he could while continuing to scream and let out all the pressure on his chest.

He wasn't sure how long he had been like that, but when he realized it, he was sitting against a tree he had torn down, and the night had fallen.

He looked at the sky with something akin to longing. The shock was beginning to fade, and his brain was slowly processing everything that had happened in the last few days.

It definitely wasn't a dream.

"Rough day, huh?"

He was startled to hear a voice coming out of nowhere. Devon stood up and assumed a defensive posture, but he realized it was that guy Ronan who had spoken. He was leaning against a tree, playing with a nice ring.

Devon sat back on the ground, staring fixedly at the earth beneath his feet.

"I guess so," he replied after a moment, "what are you doing here?"

He turned to look at him, but Ronan was already squatting in front of him. His face very close to his.

"Just wanted to see you again. You seem like a very interesting person, Devon. I want to get to know you more," he said.

Devon furrowed his brow a bit, but a small smile appeared on his face.

"How did you find me?"

Ronan let out a small laugh.

"After all the commotion you made? I'm surprised I'm the only one who came to make sure you were okay," he let out a short laugh, "but I consider myself a good tracker. Very good, in fact. Once I know your scent, no matter where in the world you hide, I will find you."

Devon nodded, letting out a small laugh. Now he felt a little embarrassed about everything he had done. Although deep down, he would have preferred to see Edward rather than Ronan.

"Edward mentioned that you guys are something like relatives. What does that mean?" he felt curious and couldn't help asking.

"Eddy is an idiot," his voice sounded slightly irritated as he rolled his eyes, "Edward is my younger brother. Biologically speaking. We both died around the same time, and Carlisle turned us after we got sick."