The blonde approached Edward and placed a hand on his shoulder, giving him a small smile. He couldn't stay angry with him for too long. He understood why he had done it.

"If I'm honest," Carlisle began, taking a few steps back and crossing his arms, "since the first time I met Devon, I thought... I'd see him more often at home."

Alice let out a giggle, and Rosalie just smiled. Everyone in the house thought that when Edward suddenly announced one day that Isabella Swan was his girlfriend.

"I'm confused," he confessed. "I feel something for Bella, but it's completely different from what I feel for Devon. When I met Bella, I just wanted to drink her blood until my thirst was satisfied... but with Devon"—he paused for a moment—"I just know that I want to protect him from everything and everyone. Being with him makes me feel... calm. I feel... happy."

Carlisle nodded in understanding. "I think we once talked about what a Tua Cantante and a mate are," he smiled. "It seems you found both. What attracts you to Bella is her blood. It's different from what you might have tasted before, and you're eager to consume it. On the other hand, with Devon, you feel what I feel for Esme, what Jasper feels for Alice, or what Rosalie feels for Emmett. You love him in a more sentimental way. You should sort out your feelings, Edward."

"I will," he murmured. "I'll go see Bella to explain the situation."

"Just be careful," Alice told him. "She might not take it well."

Edward nodded slightly and left the room, leaving the others alone. They weren't sure what to expect from now on.

🥀

Devon felt... strange. His mind was foggy, but it was as if a ten-ton truck had run him over. He remembered what had happened in that alley and understood that Edward had done something to him, but he didn't understand what.

He remembered a lot of blood around him; someone had stabbed him, and he knew he was about to die, but it didn't happen. The last thing he remembered before closing his eyes was Edward biting him, and an intense pain ran through his body.

However, a strange memory appeared in his mind, one from when he was thirteen, a week before his fourteenth birthday.

It was dismissal time, and he was walking home with one of his friends, Oliver. Both lived quite close to each other, making it easy to walk home together. Besides, they shared classes, making everything more straightforward.

However, for a few weeks, Devon had been feeling strange around his best friend. He couldn't understand what it was, but every time he walked home with him and started talking about that movie he would watch with his mother, he couldn't help feeling a strange sensation in his stomach. He had never felt it before, but it was odd. He felt his face heating up when he looked at Oliver smiling with excitement, talking about that basketball game he saw on TV, and suddenly, he wanted to become a player like them.

"I know you could do it, Ollie," he had said with a smile. "You're tall, so you would be a great player."

And Oliver's eyes would sparkle at his best friend's declaration.

Upon arriving home, Devon would go straight to Margo, who was in the kitchen preparing some snacks.

"Margo!" he would call with some excitement.

The woman would look at him with a maternal smile, revealing her voluptuous belly due to her eight-month pregnancy.

"Hello, Dev. How was your day at school?"

Devon dropped his backpack

next to the island chair and took a seat in front of Margo, who handed him a plate of snacks and then a glass filled with orange juice.