"Pennsylvania," he cleared his throat, "from Pittsburgh."

"It's very far from here," Edward even felt a bit silly for not finding the right words.

Devon looked at him curiously.

"It is. It was almost a six-hour flight."

Edward nodded.

"And what brought you to this place?"

Devon almost laughed but instead, something like a snort came out. He pointed to his eye, where the bruise still remained, although it was a bit smaller. Just a bit.

"I guess this is a good explanation. In my old school, I got into a lot of fights, and my father got tired of going to my school every week because they called him when I had a fight. He decided it was better to get rid of me."

Edward frowned. He wasn't very sure if he understood, even though he could hear Devon's thoughts.

"Your father didn't want you?" He didn't want it to sound bad, but that's how it was.

Devon let out a laugh but kept his brow furrowed.

"I guess it's a way of saying he hated me," he nodded. "It's kind of stupid because since he separated from my mother, he fought for my custody, and since he's a lawyer, he had various connections that made him win."

He quickly cleared his throat and spoke before Edward continued with his interrogation.

"How about you?" He didn't know why he suddenly started talking about his life, but it was better to change the subject before he kept ranting.

"About me?" It was Edward's turn to furrow his brow.

"Yes. Have you and your family been living in Forks for a long time?"

There was a short moment of silence. Edward seemed to be thinking about the most appropriate answer, although they already had a complete story for it. Alice made sure everyone knew it inside and out.

"Not really. We used to live in Alaska, but we moved because my adoptive father was offered a good job here. My parents wanted a quieter life, and Forks seemed to be the right place."

Devon nodded in understanding.

"Do you like it? I mean, Forks."

"I guess it's a good place. Although a bit boring."

He nodded in agreement. Devon had realized in the few days he had been there that nothing interesting ever happened. Everyone knew each other, and any gossip spread at an incredibly fast pace.

The conversation stopped when the teacher entered the classroom, and Devon stopped looking at Cullen. However, Edward kept looking at Devon for a moment longer. He didn't understand why he was curious about him. It's not like he had anything special. He didn't even know him really, and before that moment, they hadn't exchanged a single word.

The class was quite long and heavy, but it finally ended, and Devon packed up all his things ready to go straight home. Before he started walking, he looked at Edward, who was still sitting; he seemed somewhat lost in his own thoughts. It seemed like he wasn't even breathing.

"Goodbye, Edward," he said out of politeness, but Cullen looked at him intently, and Devon continued on his way without expecting any kind of response.

He walked as fast as he could to avoid Jessica, who had bombarded him with thousands of words all week. He didn't want to be rude to her, so he had been listening to her as much as possible. Angela usually saved him from her, or sometimes it was Mike, who did everything to get the blonde's attention, and it was Devon's chance to escape.