There was a short silence, the director was about to speak again, but someone knocked on the door.

"Come in," he said without taking his eyes off the student.

The secretary peeked in a bit, looking nervous but actually quite calm.

"Mr. Gray is here," she announced softly.

Devon tensed for a moment, but he remained calm. This was the last thing he needed. They just had to tell him he was expelled to make everything go to hell.

"Okay, tell him to come in. Devon, wait outside while I talk to your father."

The boy stood up annoyed as he grabbed his backpack and left the office. He didn't look at his father when he met him outside and went straight to the hallway to await his sentence.

"I'm sorry," a voice said in front of him, and it was the first time he raised his head. His right eye was so swollen that he couldn't even see with it.

He smiled when he realized it was Eugene, the guy he had defended from Sean. Devon raised his hand gently to place it on the boy's cheek. He noticed there were tears in Eugene's eyes.

"It wasn't your fault, and I'm fine," he assured with noticeable calmness. Eugene almost believed him, but seeing Devon's swollen eye, concern enveloped him again.

They looked into each other's eyes, and Eugene let out a little laugh as he noticed how horrible Devon really looked. It wasn't just the swollen eye; he had an open lip, and a big bruise was starting to spread on the left side of his jaw.

"I brought you a cold soda to put on your face," Eugene handed him the can, and Devon took it with a smile.

He placed it next to his eye and held it there for a few seconds. It was just a matter of time before the pain became unbearable, but he was doing his best to stay calm.

"Thanks."

There was another short silence; both boys sat on the floor, leaning against the wall, looking at the lonely hallway's floor.

"Will your punishment be severe? I told the principal I could tell him what Sean did to me," Eugene asked.

Devon shook his head, placing a hand on top of Eugene's.

"Don't worry about that. I don't want you to get in trouble because of me. Besides, it's not the first or the last time I fight for the same reason."

"I'm really sorry," the boy murmured sadly.

Devon didn't say anything else and instead released a deep sigh while applying more pressure with the can on his wound. The cold was really helping to ease the pain a bit.

Not more than ten minutes passed when Devon's father came out of the principal's office and looked angrily at his son sitting on the floor. Eugene avoided the older man's gaze but felt a little sorry for what could happen to Devon.

"We're leaving," the father spoke harshly and began walking down the hallway.

Devon rolled his eyes with annoyance but stood up with Eugene's help. The boy looked at him with concern, but Devon directed a small smile at him to indicate that everything would be fine. Then he shook his hair a bit and, without saying anything else, followed his father's steps.

Both got into the man's car and remained silent for a moment. Devon closed his eyes without removing the cold can from his face, and the father gripped the steering wheel tightly. They hadn't started moving yet, but the atmosphere was very tense and uncomfortable.

"Am I going to be expelled?" Devon asked without opening his eyes. He preferred to get his sentence once and for all.

The man had already started the car, but they were moving very slowly down the street.