Chapter 4

[Author's POV]

They all reached Hogwarts after dark. As usual first years were called by Hagrid and the four had to part. The trio got onto one of the carriages and were surprised to see that the thestrals were visible to them.

"I guess our time traveling doesn't work on these," Herqmione wondered out loud making the boys nod in response.

***Meanwhile, with Ginny***

Ginny got onto a boat and was joined by Luna, Colin, and Dana. She smiled at all of them and they shared "introductions". Ginny of course knew all of them, Dana Anderson was her dorm mate.

Luna was talking about nargles and crumple-horned snorkacks already making Ginny smile at her.

"Do any of you know Harry Potter?" Colin asked curiously, looking around.

"Yes," Luna said in her misty voice, "My father talks of him a lot actually,"

"Yeah, he is my brother's best friend," Ginny said coolly.

"Wait, he's real? My mother always told me that Harry Potter's stories were all myths and it was Dumbledore who got rid of You-Know-Who," Dana said shocked.

"Yes, obviously he's real. He did defeat Voldemort-" At the name Dana shuddered, Colin didn't know what it meant and Luna's face looked unreadable, "- when he was one, and also last year at school, when Voldemort possessed the Defence against the Dark Arts teacher, forcing him to help him come back, Harry stopped him again." Ginny said grinning, thinking about Harry's achievements by the time he was 12.

Soon, they reached the entrance hall and McGonagall explained about the houses, Ginny did not pay attention since she had already heard this speech before. She then told them to follow her. She explained about the sorting and the Sorting Hat, which started singing this year's song, again Ginny didn't pay attention. She watched all her classmates get sorted one by one, all getting sorted in the same houses as last time. 

"Weasley Ginevra" McGonagall called out from her list reaching the last name there.

Ginny smiled broadly when her name was called out. The only student to have gone confidently up to the pedestal. McGonagall put the hat on her head.

"Hmm..Curious. You are cunning, very cunning. Intelligent and loyal too. But your bravery outweighs them all. Traveled back in time have you? What house were you in last time? Ah, yes then let it be the same as last time.....GRYFFINDOR!"

Ginny beamed and sat down at the applauding table between Harry and Hermione.

"We've decided to wait till tomorrow to talk to Dumbledore, I forgot how tiring the journey was," Harry told Ginny.

Ginny nodded before turning to Hermione, who was scolding Ron for stuffing himself.

"What?" He said with his mouth full. "I've missed the food here, you cook amazing and all but nothing compares to the food at Hogwarts, especially for the feasts." He said seriously, swallowing his food.

***

The second-year Gryffindors were supposed to have Herbology with the Hufflepuffs first, while first-year Gryffindors had Transfiguration with the Ravenclaws so they decided to go to class, "get permission" from the respective teachers to be out of class and then go to Dumbledore's office. The four had bought four 4-way mirrors for each of them from Glasshouse in Diagon Alley, similar to what Sirius and James used to have. So they were talking to each other through that during class. Ginny had told McGonagall that she wasn't feeling too well. The others thought they couldn't do that as all three falling sick would be quite obvious. 

"Good morning class, today we shall be studying about Mandrakes. Now who can tell me what Mandrakes are?" Professor Sprout looked around. To nobody's surprise, Hermione's hand flew up in the air, but to everyone's surprise, including Sprout's, Ron's hand went up too. 

"Yes, Mr Weasley?"

"Mandrakes, or Mandragora, are magical plants, resembling crying babies initially, which have incredible, restorative powers. Used in Restoration Draughts which cures Petrification, they are effective only in their mature form." Ron explained, almost as if he had swallowed a book.

"Very good Mr Weasley! 10 points to Gryffindor. You answered my second question with the first too, so take another 10!" Sprout said smiling. "Good to see Miss Granger is rubbing off on you," To which Hermione turned scarlet. 

"Mandrakes are also dangerous, who can tell me why?" Sprout said, looking around again.

This time Harry, too raised his hand. "Alright, Mr Potter?"

"The cry of a Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it," Harry said, grinning at Hermione.

"Excellent. Another 10 points to Gryffindor" said Professor Sprout, "Now, these Mandrakes here are still very young," 

She pointed to a row of deep trays as she spoke and everyone shuffled forward for a better look. A hundred or so tufty little plants, purple-greenish in color, were growing there in rows.

"Everyone, take a pair of earmuffs," said Professor Sprout just as Harry's mirror heated up. 

"Ginny's calling," He said quietly. Ron and Hermione nodded as everyone started moving towards the earmuffs, to get one that wasn't pink and fluffy.

Harry bent down to hide before grabbing the mirror from his pocket, where Ginny's face had appeared. "Are you coming already?" asked Ginny heatedly.

"Of course love, just waiting for Ron and Hermione, we'll meet you near the gargoyles," Harry reassured her.

"You better," Said Ginny in a threatening voice before her face disappeared from the mirror.

Once everyone was back in place, the trio went to Professor Sprout.

"Um, Professor?" Hermione said uncertainly.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"We uh- need to see the Headmaster for something very important,"

"Oh, I'm sure that can wait till, after Herbology, this is quite an important lesson too,"

"Actually Professor," Ron butted in, "this is very important, I'm sure the Headmaster would agree if he knew what it was about," he said gently.

"Alright, I'm letting you off this once, but if I find out, this is your way of bunking class, you'll be out of this school before you can say 'Mandrakes'," Professor Sprout said, finally giving in since the three of them seemed to know a bit about Mandrakes. 

"Thank you, Professor! You won't regret it!" Hermione said jovially before the three sprinted out and ran to Dumbledore's office, where they met a pale Ginny.

"Let's go in," said Ginny. It seemed she was the most eager to finish up with this.

"Wait, what's the password?" Hermione asked, suddenly looking crestfallen. 

"Oh, that's easy, just keep guessing sweet names and you'll get one right," Harry said, grinning.

"Bertie Botts' Every Flavour Beans"

"Chocolate Frogs"

"Sherbet lemon"

The gargoyle moved and Harry grinned, having been the one to guess that.

The four rushed up the stairs and knocked on the door.

"Enter" Dumbledore's calm, alert voice called from inside.

******

(A/N)

I know, frustrating how it ends on a cliffhanger. I'll try to update as soon as possible, I have already started the fifth chapter.

-Lily ;)