Chapter 37: The Patronus

Start from the beginning

"You know what?" Joni then said, with a determined look. "We're gonna help you, Hagrid! You'll have to put up a good strong defense and we'll help prove that Buckbeak is safe."

"Joni's right." Hermione said. "I'm sure i've read about a case off hippogriff-baiting where the hippogriff got off. Joni and i'll look it up for you, and see exactly what happened."

Hagrid thanked Joni and Hermione by hugging them tightly, but before the quartet left, Joni decided he wanted to hang out with Buckbeak for a bit. He approached the hippogriff and bow to it, who bowed it's head back, and then crouched down and started to pet him.

"Hi, Buckbeak." Joni said. "Can i call you Beaky?"

Buckbeak made a small sound while leaning it's head more against Joni's hand.

"I'll take that as a yes." He said smiling.

Out of the corner of his eye, Joni saw Hermione approaching slowly.

"Beaky, this is Hermione. She's my best friend." He then looked at the girl. "Bow to him."

Hermione then slowly bowed to Buckbeak, who after a moment of looking at the girl bowed back.

"I think he'll let you come to him now."

Hermione then crouched down and started to pet Buckbeak as well, and to her surprise Buckbeak chirped quite loudly.

"I think he likes you." Joni chuckled.

---

"Oi, presents!" Ron exlaimed.

The next morning was Christmas morning. Joni and Harry woke up to Ron's shouting. While Harry put on his glasses and Joni fixed his hair, the two realized what Ron said and ran into the common room to join him. They saw presents underneath the Christmas tree, and Ron was already ripping into his presents.

Joni and Harry then joined in and started to open their own presents. One of the presents Joni got was from Hermione, which was a hoodie, being a cyan blue. Meanwhile, Harry noticed a long, thin package with his presents.

"What's that?" Ron asked, pointing at the package.

"I don't know." Harry replied, then turned to Joni. "Joni, do you have one?"

Joni then quickly went through everything he had before saying "Nope."

Harry then pulled the wrappings off the parcel, revealing a shiny new broomstick. Ron gasped, getting the twins' attention.

"I don't believe it." He muttered. "It's a bloody Firebolt!"

"I remember seeing this in Diagon Alley when we were staying at the Leaky Cauldron." Joni said in awe, while sliding his hand on the broomstick. "Who sent it to you?"

"Look and see if there's a card." Harry said.

Joni then looked through the wrapping but found nothing.

"There's nothing. Who would have the money to spend it on a Firebolt for you?"

"I bet it was Dumbledore." Ron said as he took the Firebolt in his hands. "He sent you the invisibility cloak anonymously."

"Yeah, but it was our dads. Who we inherited it from."

"That's why he couldn't say it was from him. In case someone like Malfoy said it was favoritism. Wait till Malfoy sees you on this, Harry."

"What's going on, you three?"

The boys looked up and saw Hermione coming down the spiral stairs, wearing her dressing-gown and carrying Crookshanks in her arms. She put the cat on the ground, who then joined Millie, who was sitting on the table by the window.