Chapter 2: Selection

The next day...

Y/N's PoV

Cadet Corps Supervisor: Cadets, fall in! Head over to the platform. It's time to make your choice! Move it!

I turned to Oluo and Petra, who nodded back at me before we proceeded toward the outdoor stage together. As we gathered with the rest of our class in front of the stage and took our place, we saw a tall, blonde-haired man with thick, bushy eyebrows and piercing ice-blue eyes walk out and toward the center of the stage with a calm and collected expression on his face. Besides wearing the standard issued military uniform and the ODM gear body harness, the man also wore an emerald bolo tie around his neck, and on his jacket were three patches depicting the Scout Regiment's trademark "Wings of Freedom" insignia.

Woah! That's Erwin Smith!

Erwin Smith was the 13th Commander of the Survey Corps. A serious and highly respected man with a commanding presence, he has been the face of the Survey Corps since the Fall of Wall Maria. Under his leadership, the Survey Corps has seen an improvement in its survival rate, but compared to other regiments, his was still the most dangerous.

Petra: Woah, look! It's Commander Erwin!

Oluo clicked his tongue as he rolled his eyes.

Oluo: We know that, Petra.

Petra shot Oluo an annoyed glare as she scowled at him.

Petra: I wasn't talking to you.

Oluo was about to retort when I interrupted him.

Y/N: Shut up, you two. I think he's about to start.

Just then, Commander Smith spoke up and addressed our class in a calm yet firm voice.

Erwin: Good morning. I am Erwin Smith, Commander of the Survey Corps, also known as the Scout Regiment. Today, you will be choosing your regiment.

CHAPTER 2: SELECTION

Erwin: Let's cut to the chase here. The Scouts need you; we need all the warm bodies we can get. As I'm sure you're all aware, the Scouts have been tasked with figuring out a way to retake Wall Maria. As of right now, our plan is to establish a secure route from Trost to Shiganshina and stash as many supply caches as we can for when we need to seal up the breaches in Wall Maria. However, that said, this is easier said than done. The main obstacles to this plan are the Titans. I won't lie to you, but while our casualty rate may have decreased in the two years I have been commander, we still incur losses exceeding forty percent per expedition.

A collective gasp came from most of the class as everyone glanced at each other and quietly discussed this revelation among themselves.

Oluo: My God...

I glanced at Oluo and then at Petra, who seemed stunned by what Commander Smith had just revealed before turning my attention back to the Commander.

Erwin: Three months from now, we will conduct a recon mission outside the Walls. Recruits from among your ranks will be expected to take part. I estimate half of them will die; after three years, most will be dead, but those who endure will be amongst the most capable soldiers alive.