Chapter 13 - They Pick Up Their Hearts

Author's Note: Heh heh I wonder how many of you expected THIS? ;)

~ Amina Gila

Of all the things the Empire has done, Anakin would say this is the worst. He can't guarantee it, but it certainly feels like it. They destroyed an entire planet and took out everyone who could be left to talk about it. No doubt, they're intending to keep this quiet.

The others are talking in the background, but now, all Anakin can focus on is the whispering warning in the Force.

The black holes.

Right.

"We need to leave, now," Anakin says firmly.

"We have to find evidence of this," Padme interjects, stepping forwards, "This could be the chance we've been waiting for. If we could find the evidence that the Empire did something like this, it could be enough to take them down. If the Senate understands exactly what they've become, they wouldn't stand for it."

She's right.

She's always right.

"Then we have to make it fast," Anakin replies, "We'll have to infiltrate the Star Destroyer, get it's recordings, and get off."

"Which means getting captured," Fives says, crossing his arms.

"Captured?" AZI yelps as the others board the ship. "I do not believe this to be a good idea!"

Artoo beeps at him.

"We'll be fine," Ahsoka supplies. "Let's get going."

It's with a renewed level of fierce determination that Anakin fires up the ship's engines. There will be risks involved, and he knows instinctively that not everyone who goes in will make it out. Actually he – he's afraid of that, but Padme is right. If they want to topple the Empire, or if they want to change it, this is the answer.

The Senate wouldn't stand for it, or at least it wouldn't in Anakin's time. It was often so hard to get information – it's hidden so well – but if they could get a recording and play it on the Senate floor, there'd be no denying it. There would be no way to hide it. Getting someone to play it might be hard, but obtaining the information itself will be even harder.

"To infiltrate, we'll have to be captured," Anakin warns, "Or at least fake capture."

"I'm ready to do my part, sir," Fives tells him. He says it with the same tone, the same... everything which Fives once had. It still hurts. Anakin remembers him dead. He will never forget, never stop dreaming of that day.

"I know you are, Fives." He could say many things to that, but the cautions are something everyone already understands. There isn't anything more to add.

This is reckless, and Anakin knows that. He's worried about the results, the loss, but it's like so many of the missions they went on in the war. They have to take this risk, and if it's... he's just worried, and they need to hurry. The Force is tense around them, like it's warning, trying to protect. They have to go, soon. Anakin doesn't know how he knows, but they just... don't have long.

"I still have some clearances," Ahsoka volunteers, "I'm still an ex-commander and an Inquisitor. I doubt things have changed much."

"Good," Anakin says, focusing on flying towards the Star Destroyer. This feels insane. They should be fighting it, not – oh, whatever. It wasn't as bad as the Malevolence.

This won't be easy, though.

"We'll have to stay out of sight," Padme warns, "This is a Star Destroyer. We'll be way outmatched."