Chapter 12 - When Everything's Lost

Start from the beginning

Fives scoffs. "We'll see."

"I'm responsible for her," Anakin interjects before anything can get too out of hand, "I trust her, though I understand your concerns. Ahsoka has been... staying with us."

Hunter is eyeing her warily, but he doesn't mention it. "Wrecker and Omega, wait on the ship," he orders.

"Wait, why can't we come, too?" Omega objects.

"We'll need someone at the ships for backup," Anakin replies, "Ahsoka, you're with us. Artoo, we'll need you here."

"I'll come," Padme offers.

Anakin wants to object, but he doesn't. She has to get to make this choice.

"Fiiine, I'll stay," Asajj sighs, flicking a hand, "Don't come crying to me when you fall into a sinkhole, and I'm not there to drag you out."

"When has that ever happened?" Ahsoka scoffs.

"I wasn't talking to you," she says sweetly.

Anakin laughs, patting her shoulder. "We'll be fine, Asajj."

Hunter goes in first, and the rest follow. There's enough of them to draw attention if they're not careful, but Anakin doesn't think that will be too much of a concern.

Climbing the mountain is a bit tricky, but it's far better than when they had to climb the wall at the Citadel. That was a nightmare – hanging hundreds of feet over a lava river and electromines. Here, there's no traps because the Empire was counting on never being found.

Shortsightness is always an advantage.

"This looks like some sort of military base," Hunter says when they finally reach the top, overlooking something... deep inside. And he's right – it definitely is. Anakin felt that from the start.

"Not one that I've ever heard of," Tech replies.

"The Empire's good at keeping secrets," Anakin points out. He looks at Hunter. "Do you want to go in?"

"We have to," Fives says fiercely, "If Hardcase is in there, if he needs my help, I am going to get him out."

Hunter sighs. "I don't like this," he admits, "But we'll come."

"We do not know for certain if he is even in there," Tech objects, "Or if he is still alive."

"Either way, this is something we must uncover," Qui-Gon replies.

"We'll be fine," Anakin assures, because he knows they will. He can feel it. Something... dark is ahead, but it's not now. They'll be fine. Whatever they uncover will be important, and Anakin has a bad feeling about what it might entail.

Getting inside, of course, is a different story, but they make it in safely without triggering any alarms. Artoo plugs into a port to tap into the central database. There's got to be prisoners here, and Anakin can... sense something amiss. He's just not sure what yet.

There are some clones here, but there are also... other people here, too – the ones dressed in different armor. That's what worries him most. He doesn't have a good feeling about it.

Artoo's dome swivels towards him, and he beeps, confused.

Anakin frowns, crouching in front of him. "TK troopers? I haven't heard that term." He looks at Tech because Tech usually knows those things. He can't shake the feeling they're in over their heads right now, though.

"I am not familiar with that designation," Tech frowns.

"Just try to find Hardcase," Anakin requests, "He's got to be here somewhere, unless they took him off-world."