Chapter 11 - All Of Their Lives

Mulai dari awal

... At least it was just his mechanical one that Obi-Wan cut off. Doesn't make the memory overly pleasant.

Asajj huffs out a breath, but heads to her room just down the hall, nearly stumbling as she does though, though she's quick to catch her balance.

Anakin follows her, carrying the medkit.

"Thanks," she says, and he blinks at the entirely unexpectedness of it. At least from her.

"I almost can't believe you just said that."

"Me neither. Don't get cocky about it." She takes the medical supplies from him, settling on the edge of her bunk.

He lingers in the doorway for a moment, debating asking what he's really wondering even if he doesn't want the answer. He ought to know, though. "Was it the... Sith who – who did that?" he ventures, finally.

Asajj looks up at him again, though the smirk that flits across her face looks mostly forced. "Yeah. He's lovely company. Making him angry was amusing."

It's almost disturbing how much he can imagine the version of Ventress he knew saying the same thing about Obi-Wan. He's almost inclined to agree, too. Well. Sometimes.

"That's generally an unwise approach to take with Sith," he points out finally, because annoying them to the point they start torturing you is... stupid. Even if he can entirely understand the temptation. He hates the sheer helplessness of being captured – something he's far too familiar with – and refusing to show to any fear or anything is well...

The only thing that makes you feel like you have control of anything. Even if it's dangerous.

"It was worth it," Asajj replies, smirking.

If she says so.

He doesn't want to think about how Obi-Wan was torturing her. Yes, he's a Sith, but that doesn't mean facing the reality of... what that means for the kinds of things he does is easy. It doesn't help that it was probably at least in part an effort to lure Anakin out there. (Because he wants him for some reason. That isn't something Anakin wants to think about too much. It hurts.)

"Was it," he repeats.

"Yeah. Don't tell me you wouldn't do the same, Skykid."

"I have," he replies, dryly, "... I have done the same to Obi-Wan, in very different circumstances." Making him annoyed was funny. Sometimes, like in speeder chases. Making him angry not so much.

"Must've been quite the master," she huffs.

He doesn't want to think about that right now. "He was a good master," Anakin replies, quietly, "We were... close. I don't see how he could be so different here."

Asajj shrugs a shoulder. "Maybe he Fell without you to keep him on his toes."

He rather doubts his absence would make someone Fall, even if he cracks up at the comment. "I'd find the opposite more likely."

"Hmm," she muses, though that tired edge to her gaze is back again.

"I'll leave you to treat it," he says, stepping out the door.

He can't help wondering, just a little bit, if Asajj is right that they're... like siblings. She was joking when she said it, but there's a certain equality there that isn't quite the same as he's had with anyone else.

He doesn't want to lose that, but... Now isn't the time to think about what happens when he goes back to his own time. Right now, he needs to talk to Qui-Gon.

He's still in the hold when Anakin returns, and Ahsoka's disappeared back to their room.

"You confronted Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon states more than asks when Anakin settles across from him.