CHAPTER 26! she'd done nothing to him, and he'd ruined her life

Start from the beginning

percy wondered how many more times he'd have to apologize.

he'd never said i'm sorry that many times.

all he could do was feel guilty. she'd done nothing to him, and he'd ruined her life.

he couldn't live with himself.

there was no way to undo his mistakes.

cherry had every reason to hate him, but percy wished desperately that he didn't.

"i'm sorry." percy spoke, as he watched the waves rise and fall.

"i know." cherry nodded.

they were silent again.

after midnight, annabeth came up on deck.

the boat was just passing a smoking volcano island. the sea bubbled and steamed around the shore.

annabeth told them it was one of the forges of hephaestus.

they steered clear of any danger.

percy glanced at annabeth.

"the reason you hate cyclopes so much.. the story about how thalia really died. what happened?" percy questioned.

cherry's eyes widened.

it was hard to see annabeth's expression in the dark.

"i guess you deserve to know." annabeth said, finally. "the night grover was escorting us to camp, he got confused, took some wrong turns. you remember he told you that once? well, the worst wrong turn was into a cyclops's lair in brooklyn."

"they've got cyclopes in brooklyn?" percy asked.

"you wouldn't believe how many, but that's not the point. this cyclops, he tricked us. he managed to split us up inside this maze of corridors in an old house in flatbush. and he could sound like anyone, percy. just the way tyson did aboard the princess andromeda. he lured us, one at a time. thalia thought she was running to save luke. luke thought he heard me scream for help. and me, i was
alone in the dark. i was seven years old. i couldn't even find the exit." annabeth brushed the hair out of her face.

"that sounds horrifying." cherry whispered.

"it was. i remember finding the main room. there were bones all over the floor. and there were thalia and luke and grover, tied up and gagged, hanging from the ceiling like smoked hams. the cyclops was starting a fire in the middle of the floor. i drew my knife, but he heard me. he turned and smiled. he spoke, and somehow he knew my dad's voice. i guess he just plucked it out of my mind. he said, 'now, annabeth, don't you worry. i love you. you can stay here with me. you can stay forever." annabeth continued the story.

percy shivered.

just hearing it was terrifying him and cherry.

"what happened after that?" cherry waited for her to continue.

"i stabbed him in the foot." annabeth told them.

"cool." cherry grinned.

"are you kidding? you were seven years old and you stabbed a grown cyclops in the foot?" percy was shocked.

"oh, he would've killed me. but i surprised him. it gave me just enough time to run to thalia and cut the ropes on her hands. she took it from there." annabeth discredited herself.

"yeah, but still.. that was pretty brave, annabeth." percy told her.

she shook her head. "we barely got out alive. i still have nightmares, percy. the way that cyclops talked in my father's voice. it was his fault we took so long getting to camp. all the monsters who'd been chasing us had time to catch up. that's really why thalia died. if it hadn't been for that cyclops, she'd still be alive today."