Chapter 1 - They Never Lose Hope

En başından başla

"You're the traitor, Jedi," Clovis retaliates. He's wearing clothes somewhat similar to what Palpatine used to wear, as though he is the Emperor, but that doesn't make any sense. He pushes something on his desk, and Anakin realizes a split second too late that it's an alarm. He's calling security in.

The doors slide open just a second later, and Fox – at least his armor looks the same – enters with a group of other clones, blasters raised and aimed at him. "Surrender, Jedi," Fox barks.

Seeing him instantly draws to the surface countless memories of – of Fives' last moments. All Anakin could do was stand there and watch as Fox shot him down, as Fives lay dying in Rex's arms. And he knows that Fox was following orders, but that doesn't stop the bitterness or anger at seeing him. Doesn't stop the memories of Fives' death that haunt him ceaselessly.

Anakin steps back, hand moving for his lightsaber. He doesn't know what's happening, or how Clovis is here – Anakin thought Obi-Wan reported him dead on Scipio when he went there to deal with the Banking Clans.

"Fox, what's... wrong?" Anakin asks, heart hammering. This doesn't make sense – why are the clones about to attack him? Why are they arresting him? His killing Palpatine couldn't have led to this, could it? "What's happening?"

"You're under arrest," Fox replies, as though that answers anything.

Anakin takes another step back, gaze darting around the room for the fastest way of escape. "For what?"

"All Jedi are traitors to the Empire, in league with the Rebellion, and are to be terminated."

The – what?

They're going to kill him. Execute him.

Fox fires first, and Anakin ducks, the blaster shot striking the window behind him, fracturing the glass. Anakin draws his lightsaber, deflecting the shots. He Force-shoves the clones back, turning and running for the window. It's the only real way out, and he needs to run.

The already damaged window shatters easily when he Force-shoves it. Anakin falls through the open window, falling downwards. The glass shards fall around him, pricking against his skin. He's falling from one of the top floors on the Senate dome, and he hits the side, stabbing his lightsaber into it to slow his fall.

Yes, there ought to be property damage concerns, but really, he's apparently a criminal, anyway.

Which doesn't make any sense.

What Empire? What Rebellion? What in the galaxy is happening here?

The glass falls past him, and Anakin pulls himself up onto the edge, looking around. The only way out is to keep falling,

He'll have to steal a speeder somewhere, which is hardly out of the ordinary for him. Anakin kicks himself off the roof and keeps falling, using the Force to simultaneously guide him and slow his fall. There's got to be a speeder somewhere.

There's going to be police droids after him, not to mention the entire Coruscanti Guard. If what they did to Ahsoka is anything to go by, they'll have everyone looking for him in the Underworld. No, what he needs is help, someone to get him off-world, and information to find out what in the galaxy is happening.

It's evening, just after sunset, and the darkness is simultaneously helpful in covering for him and making it almost more unnerving. He just... wants to get out of here. He needs help. Someone.

He's spotted once on the way – someone recognizes him as a Jedi, and for some reason, Anakin can feel an unreasonable level of fear from them. Why are they afraid? It doesn't make any sense. Even if he allegedly committed treason somehow, he's still a war hero. Everyone knows him. That's why he hates going to the Senate. He doesn't mind attention. He just minds it when everyone... follows him everywhere.